A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
261 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washi Paper Tape Game Table  (Read 6407 times)
Tags for this thread: table , washi_tape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
microjivvy
« on: June 06, 2012 11:57:09 AM »

I don't know where I first read about Washi Paper Tape, but after seeing all the adorable patterns, vivid colors, and cheery polka dots, I knew one thing...

Washi Tape would never work with my style of paper crafting. Let's face it, if it's paper and it's not distressed, ripped, and faded, I probably didn't make it.

Still the vast array of options in something as convenient as sticky tape is a crafty siren song.

After staring longingly at all the Washi Tape in an online shop, I finally had an idea: convert a plain wooden occasional table into a game table.

Here's the table in question:

Since Washi Paper Tape is semi-transparent, my first step was to cover the dark dark table with pages from an old law book that I picked up at a thrift store for about $1.00.

This was a step that sounded like a good idea at the time. More on that later.

As you can see, I penciled in a checkerboard on the top. And then I went to work with the Washi Tape (followed by a couple of coats of a satin acrylic finish).

What did I learn in this process? Never ever use a decoupage style "undercoat" with Washi Tape. While not glaringly obvious in the pictures, every overlap, bump, and wrinkle is definitely noticeable through the tape.

I would have been much better off to have gone with a simple painted undercoat.

Also, if you're doing a big project, measure carefully and order accordingly. Originally, I had planned to have a patterned design on the bottom shelf, but my Does-Not-Plan-Ahead self ran out of tape and the bottom shelf ended up with a coat of black paint.

Another tip: keep your craft blade sharp -- I went through four or five X-Acto blades during this project. The minute the blade gets the slightest bit dull, any "free hand" cuts aren't as straight as with a sharp blade.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012 12:02:11 PM by microjivvy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012 12:20:55 PM »

Looks awesome! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
BirdBones
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012 09:46:30 PM »

I love how you worked around the lack of supply, Jivvy! The colors and patterns are really pretty.
That kind of thing happens to me all the time- but usually because I find awesome foil to cover surfaces and as soon as I get started, I want to do more and more and usually end up with quite odd designs due to using even the last scrap Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
microjivvy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012 10:08:11 AM »

heh, I love mixing up colors and patterns.  Mr. Jivvy's opinion of such mixings is that he has no say on a piece of furniture that's staying in my office.

Mr. Jivvy is an exceptionally smart man.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
BirdBones
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012 11:37:11 AM »

Oh, he definitely is a smart man Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnajess
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012 07:45:52 PM »

I kind of like the unevenness of where the legs end - it gives it some extra whimsy. i just heard about Washi the other day - is it hard to work with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
microjivvy
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012 10:37:52 AM »

I kind of like the unevenness of where the legs end - it gives it some extra whimsy. i just heard about Washi the other day - is it hard to work with?

It really is just like working with masking tape... or maybe painter's tape.  It's less sticky than masking tape (making it easy to move/re-position).

It was fun to work with on this project, but I don't really see myself using it a lot -- it's just a bit too neat/cute for my work.

I did this piece because any time I see something new (even if it doesn't really mesh with my style), I just obsess until I try it out, lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012 01:10:47 PM »

It's so whimsical; I love it! I really like how all the legs are different.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye, Craftster. Thanks for the memories.

You're always welcome to visit my blog.
microjivvy
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012 08:43:37 PM »

Thanks, Racky -- the different legs were just about the only thing I planned... well, that and having a checkerboard on top. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...