A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,837
Currently Running With Scissors:
163 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halter Dress for those of us well endowed.  (Read 1352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

missingastitch
« on: May 05, 2012 05:32:22 PM »

I had just lost a ton of weight, so decided to buy myself a dress.  Now, I hate shopping and really don't know what type of clothing can be worn w/ and w/o a bra.  Well I've come to learn that halter dresses are meant to be worn without a bra....yeah cute, but I don't have a B cup.  More like D or DD, (brought any new bras yet) and halter dresses/tops aren't very friendly to those of us that have larger cup sizes.

Now I got the dress at walmart, so I can easily take it back, but I like it so much, as does my hubby.  And I am not the type to wear dresses or get prettied up.  Is there anything I can do with it?  I have a strapless bra, but that doesn't seem to work, it hold the girls, but then the strap shows in the back, I was thinking of layering it, but then that kinda defeats the purpose...

I'd figure if I could sew some sort of underwire it might work.  But I am not very good at sewing and have no clue where to get 'under wire', lol, i'd probably take a metal clothes hanger and bend it to shape.

Anyone have any suggestions, or can direct me to sites that either sell halter tops with more support?  I mean I am not saying I am plus size, I am far from there, @ 125lbs and counting....

Huh

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Layna
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012 06:18:26 PM »

I had just this discussion with a co-worker the other day and she suggested a sports bra.  I had never thought of that, and if it showed, would look more appropriate and pretty than a regular bra would.

Good luck with your mission  Wink and with your weight loss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missingastitch
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012 01:43:19 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that, but the back of the dress is open...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Layna
kellianneeee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012 07:35:53 AM »

I know Victoria's Secret sells a bra that has straps that twist around the stomach for dresses with a low back. Otherwise you could maybe sew a band on the back part in a coordinating color so that it would cover a bra strap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012 10:27:52 PM »

I know Victoria's Secret sells a bra that has straps that twist around the stomach for dresses with a low back. Otherwise you could maybe sew a band on the back part in a coordinating color so that it would cover a bra strap.

Yep - a convertible bra is what you're after. One that can be change to be a halter neck and as the above poster said, has an extra strap that pulls the back down. In all honesty, I just avoid dresses like this as I find halter necks make my neck ache (I'm also a DD).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012 09:21:39 AM »

Here's a link to the convertible bra for DD's:

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265813922713&c=Page&cid=1334717239054&pagename=vsdWrapper

The last picture shows how it works for a halter dress.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012 09:22:36 AM by mandodeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...