A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruffle Maternity Maxi dress  (Read 4264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2012 05:17:09 AM »

I am pregnant with my fourth baby (yikes!!) and she is due in early May.  In February, my husband and I were headed to a Valentine's Dinner and I really wanted to make something different to wear.  You know, maternity clothes only afford so much to wear!!  So, I purchased some hot pink ruffle fabric from a local craft store and made my own maxi dress!!

If you're interested in the tutorial, I posted it on my blog a few weeks back.

http://www.vibrant-designs.net/2012/02/ruffle-maternity-maxi-dress-tutorial.html

It's really just a rectangle (I AM pregnant!) with straps on top and a sash to give it some shape.  I DID take my measurement around the belly and height. 

Questions and C & C are welcome Smiley This fabric is so stretchy that even now, 10 weeks later (I was 26 weeks in the photos) I can still wear it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012 06:25:45 AM »

That looks really nice. I'll admit when I first saw the pic I thought "Oh my God that's a lot of work for a maternity dress!"  Then I read that you'd used pre-ruffled fabric, and it made sense.  Smiley

Now I'm thinking I might make a shirt like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxyqueen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012 09:16:40 AM »

Looks great! And you gave yourself nice, wide straps to cover a good support bra--smart! : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012 09:58:37 AM »

I love that dress!  It looks nice and dressy, but still comfortable.  I had my third child 8 weeks ago so I know where you're coming from on the maternity clothes.  The only dresses I could afford were way to short for me!  Oh, and I'll be looking for pre-ruffled fabric, I didn't know there was such a thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gouda day to you

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012 10:24:05 AM »

Very cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
-Douglas Adams

My brand new shop: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MissLolaGetz
Feel free to stop by, say Hi and let me know what you think!
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012 11:10:13 AM »

I purchased this ruffle fabric at Hobby Lobby but they don't always carry it.  There is a website called www.rufflefabric.com which has some beautiful options!!  But...they are somewhat expensive: $15-$18 per yard.  If  you have no other option...then you can at least go to ruffle fabric.com and find something you like.  HL only had 5-6 solid color options but they are $8 or $9 per yard. 

Thank you for the compliments!!  I never feel like I look all that great when I'm pregnant  Embarrassed  and it is only worse right now!!  LOL I'm 5'1" and start at 110lbs...and end somewhere around 145.  I start getting the "about ready to pop?" comments around 30 weeks and it just gets worse from there.  I have no where to put this baby but right out there in front  Grin  Thanks again!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankeknitter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012 03:11:01 PM »

It could totally work post baby too. Its nice to have a comfortable semi-formal option that looks really elegant.
Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tightsandtea
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012 05:18:03 PM »

very cute. and congrats on the baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JXsMommy
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012 08:47:38 PM »

I'm not pregnant, but I will definitely be making this with a couple of variations (thinner straps, non-ruffled bodice). Thanks for the tute. I have a fabric store near me that sells all fabric for $2.99 a yard. Just before Christmas they had 2 bolts of this exact fabric. I had seen the prices on rufflefabric.com so when I saw it there I snatched up a whole bolt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyFox1980
She's Crafty, and She's Just My Type!

Fiber, Crafts, and Rock n Roll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013 10:17:22 PM »

This is too cute!  I'd love to try to make one for my sister-in-law who is due with my niece or nephew in October!  Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not take drugs, I am drugs"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...