A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,814
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sustainable/eco-friendly/vegan-friendly yarns + fibers  (Read 7076 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

soychicka
« on: June 21, 2005 05:26:50 AM »

hey all~

being the treehugger that i am, and a rabid knitter, i've decided to compile a list of yarns and fibers that i can use in good conscience, and maybe someday open my own oys/lys.  i'm looking for help in finding some of the smaller operations out there that produce sustainable knitting products.  here are my criteria:

1.  products contain NO acrylic, rayon, nylon, polyamide, mercerized cotton, ramie, microfiber
       [or any other synthetic fibers produced to the detriment of the environment]
2.  any animal products obtained without cruelty
3.  organic practices preferable: don't necessarily require certification... no conventionally grown cotton content!
4.  recycling is good.
5.  fair trade is really good [eg Manos, Rio de la Plata, Malabrigo, Pachuko, Himalaya]
6.  minimal processing and eco-friendly dying are really good.

i've already got a list of 160 yarns that may fit the bill, and think that i've got all the large companies covered [SW trading company, Cascade, Classic Elite, etc.] and some of the smaller companies too, but if anyone has worked with fibers from any other operations and fallen in love, pass it on!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005 05:53:16 AM »

wow! Would you consider sharing the list you have so far?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005 05:57:23 AM »

Yeah, I second that. I'd really really like to see the list too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 06:44:53 AM »

It has likely already made it to the list, but Blue Sky Alpaca's Organic Cottons are fantastic.  There is the dyed line, but you would probably be more interested in the ones that are not dyed at all, just 'color grown'.  Beautiful and so soft - and organic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soychicka
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005 02:30:18 PM »

i'll work on getting it up on a blog tonight...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005 03:58:16 PM »

yay, thanks! i'm a beginning vegan knitter and looking for good yarns to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005 04:00:33 PM »

Here's another thread that might be of interest:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=33050.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kellie_marie
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005 07:25:53 PM »

I would LOVE to see your list! Are you sorting by price at all too? Since I just finished graduate school, I'm poor and unemployed, and I know it's going to be harder and harder to fight the urge to buy cheap yarn at the evilest of evils: Walmart. I'd love to find some eco-friendly, beautiful yarn that at least goes on sale occasionally. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005 08:14:46 PM »

how do you define animal products obtained without cruelty?
i dont mean that question be aggressive or anything, just it sounds kind of vague, and i wondered what criteria you used?

and what's wrong with mercerised cotton? does the mercerising involve boiling fluffy little bunnies or something?

it's just that 've got a vegan friend who currently uses acrylics (cheap), but i was going to knit her some cotton stuff for xmas... (cruelty-free wool is still not for her. the extremist that she is and all).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelliz
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005 08:26:02 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing the list, too. 

I don't really know what mercerized cotton is.  I know it feels stiffer but don't know how or why.  Anyone know? 

I guess I kinda assumed that it wasn't cruel to use the wool from sheep.  The people that I know that have sheep have them as pets and use their wool for spinning yarn.  Is there a cruel way that it's done? 

I'd really like to know about this.  I'm thinking I've been naive to this whole thing.  I won't use a yarn if I find out they are being cruel to their animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...