A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crock Pot Stuffing  (Read 1489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2011 09:52:31 PM »

I know Thanksgiving has come and gone, but I thought I could share this recipe anyway since holidays are still in order and stuffing might be just around the corner.

I'm excited to say that I have found my most delicious method of cooking stuffing -- the Crock Pot.

I don't like to stuff my turkey because it makes the turkey take longer to cook and it doesn't always cook the bird evenly.

I've always cooked my stuffing, or dressing if it's outside the bird, in a casserole dish in the oven, but this year I wasn't hosting our Thanksgiving feast so I had to find an easy way to transport the stuffing and a good way to keep it heated while it's waiting for the main event. I also didn't want to take up the hosts' valuable post-turkey oven space.

A Crock Pot makes perfect sense. It cooks slowly and keeps moisture in throughout the process. It's kind of like a turkey. It's also easy to transport and once it arrives at its destination it can be plugged back in and kept warm outside of the oven until dinner is ready to be served.

What I discovered is after several hours of slow cooking, my stuffing was moist and flavorful, as though it had been scooped straight from the turkey.

Here's my family recipe for melt-in-your-mouth turkey stuffing.

Ingredients:

1 cup of chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
Cereal bowl full of sliced crimini mushrooms (Less than a carton)
1.5 packets of breakfast sausage links
1/2 cup golden raisins
3/4 can of medium black olives, chopped
14 oz. bag seasoned bread cubes
3/4 cup finely chopped parsley
3/4 stick of butter
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
A large crock pot

Directions:
 Start making this when you're ready to eat breakfast. This way you can eat a couple of sausage links with some eggs while the other ones are cooling. Brown all the sausage links in a big saute pan. Once they are cooled, chop them into little rounds.

Slice the mushrooms using a hard-boiled egg cutter. I love this trick I invented that I'm sure other people have also come up with!

Add 1 Tbs. butter in the saute pan and heat on medium-high. Add the celery, onion and mushrooms and cook till everything is softened, about 7 minutes.

Spray the inside of the crock pot with Pam and dump in the bread cubes. Add the breakfast sausage, mushrooms, onion and celery.

Use the hard boiled egg slicer again for the olives. It's a cinch!

Add the raisins, olives, parsley, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Cut the butter into little cubes and mix into the stuffing. Periodically pour in the chicken stock between mixing so everything is well incorporated.

Put the lid on the crock pot and turn it to low. Let it cook for 4-5 hours. Don't remove the lid until you're good and ready cause it takes a long time to reheat the crock pot.

Fluff the stuffing just before serving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

For more photos of this recipe, please visit http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2011/11/crock-pot-stuffing.html
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011 09:54:35 PM by natalex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogspot.com
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011 07:16:55 AM »

Oh that is such a great idea for large, bring a dish meals. Thank you for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011 12:06:23 PM »

This looks absolutely delish!! I've bookmarked and pinned your recipe!! I will be making this for Christmas! I love my crockpot so much, I have 3 of them!!  Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...