A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
241 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Devil tail from Liquitex and tulle handmade fabric.  (Read 1446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: July 14, 2012 08:47:06 PM »

There is a horror convention every 6 months very close to where I live. I'm planning a great devil outfit to wear when I go made from things I have acquired over the years. I wanted to incorporate a tail, but I didn't want just any old stuffed lump of fabric. I also recently quit my job so I have very little money to have executed this project.

I had made up some latex material similar to this when I made my sloppy joe costume this past Halloween, so I knew what I had to do. My budget was much tighter this time around.

I bought a small bottle of red Liquitex but everything else I had.

materials used:
small bottle red Liquitex
outdoor mod podge
hot glue
small section of a wooden skewer to make the vein in the point

I made the fabric by mixing Liquitex and outdoor mod podge (When I made the sloppy joe I mixed Liquitex and liquid latex but I couldn't afford it this time around).  I slathered it onto a table and painted on layers of tulle to make it sturdy but still flexible. I trimmed off the extra to create a log strip of fabric which I rolled and hot glued together inch by inch while stuffing it little by little with tulle. The hot glue seam is on the underside...it's not very neat looking but I coated that with more red liquitex to try to blend it.

the point is made from a separate square of the same fabric which I folded and cut to a point. I hot glued a wooden skewer to the end of the tail and sandwiched the point over it to create a vein. The seam connecting the two was coated with more hot glue and more red liquitex.

It's exactly how I wanted it...not too heavy and fairly long...
I just need to figure out how to attach the darn thing!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012 02:21:07 AM »

I love the look of it and the tip is perfect.

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.