A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ♣ ♥ ♦ Game Board Quilt ♦ ♣ ♥  (Read 4473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LilMissRedTShirt
« on: November 05, 2011 11:36:43 AM »

I just finished a game board quilt, and am too excited (to be done) to wait to post another project.

My latest sewing project is a game board quilt. It has 20-something games and activities on it, perfect for kids to play with or for a fun afternoon picnic. I saw these cute Candyland, Monopoly, and Scrabble game board fabric panels, and knew I had to make something out of them.

I wanted to combine as many games and fun little activities into one quilt as possible. It might not be a pretty quilt, but it's pretty fun! For the first time ever when sewing, I pinned the fabric together before sewing it. I forgot to stretch out the seams that gathered up when sewing... oops! So, the quilt is not evenly sewed and you have to iron it with your hands before playing. It's probably not even a quilt- just game board panels sewn together, then the whole quilt top sewed onto an old bedsheet for the backing. I'm pretty sure I used 5 whole bottles of fabric paint, too. Most quilts would have sewn the Tic Tac Toe and other panels. But, I don't know how to quilt, and I wanted to make this quilt game board quilt/blanket in just one afternoon... or so. I like crafts and sewing projects... if they're quick. I'm not the most patient person ever with crafts. This project is fun to play even though it didn't quite turn out how I wanted- I thought I could have sewed it straight. But, it was a quick project and I love board games, so it'll be a fun one to have around.

I posted a bunch of pictures, but I'm not sure how to embed them here, so here's a link:  

http://lilmissredtshirt.blogspot.com/2011/11/game-board-quilt.html

Have you ever made a game board quilt? I'd love to see yours!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011 11:38:24 AM by LilMissRedTShirt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011 12:13:26 PM »

This is a brilliant idea.  Now you need to make a carry satchel for it with pockets on the outside to hold the pieces for each game.  It would be a great take-along activity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011 12:22:56 PM »

This is a brilliant idea.  Now you need to make a carry satchel for it with pockets on the outside to hold the pieces for each game.  It would be a great take-along activity.

Thanks. Smiley I did make a bag... I should've added pockets on it, that would have been useful. I imagine it for picnics too.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011 12:58:32 PM by LilMissRedTShirt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011 09:16:59 PM »

I was wondering if anyone ever uses normal acrylic paint on fabric. I made a few of these squares background colors with acrylic-- hoping that they would fade a bit after a few washes. I read earlier that someone said acrylic paint totally washes off. Does it completely wash off, or just fade gradually with washing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011 07:38:59 AM »

Wow - I looked at your blog, and that is a LOT of work you put into this!  My kids are a bit older, but I think a scaled-down version with some different games that they would be into might be really fun for them!  great idea.  And I have no idea about the acryllic paint, so if you find out, let us know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarabeth
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011 08:13:01 PM »

Speaking as someone who paints with acrylics, I have shirts I wore while painting 5 or so years ago that still are covered in paint. The paint no longer has that paint texture and has become part of the shirt, but that pigment isn't going anywhere. Thick caked on paint can crack and peel  in the dyer, but thinner will stay longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011 09:17:48 PM »

Wow - I looked at your blog, and that is a LOT of work you put into this!  My kids are a bit older, but I think a scaled-down version with some different games that they would be into might be really fun for them!  great idea.  And I have no idea about the acryllic paint, so if you find out, let us know!

Thank you! It was a fun little project. Some of the things- Monopoly, Scrabble, Tic Tac Toe- would probably be really fun for older kids. I've seen a few companies put out patterns of tic tac toe boards and things that are cute. Personally, I don't know how to read a pattern (or really sew/quilt) so I just went with paint on a lot of it. It's a fun one... just painting sloppily and it all still sort of goes together since it's so colorful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011 09:18:52 PM »

Speaking as someone who paints with acrylics, I have shirts I wore while painting 5 or so years ago that still are covered in paint. The paint no longer has that paint texture and has become part of the shirt, but that pigment isn't going anywhere. Thick caked on paint can crack and peel  in the dyer, but thinner will stay longer.

Good to know, thanks! I'm glad this stuff won't wash out.. (well, except your shirt stains.. heh)... I never really thought about painting fabric with acrylics, but I didn't have fabric paint when I first started this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

that1girl
never not crafting

crafting for the fun of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012 11:51:47 AM »

wow that looks like a lot of work and love was but into that quilt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicfan
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012 03:08:56 PM »

This is absolute genius!!!!!!! I love it. I think Mr.Potato Head is my favorite part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...