A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 314,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
117 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ice Cream Shop Colors ~~ Crochet Afghan.  (Read 5468 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LilMissRedTShirt
« on: November 04, 2011 08:20:52 PM »

Here's the only thing I've ever crocheted. I made it a few years ago with just a basic stitch. I know it's really basic and plain compared to all the pretty blankets here, but it was fun to make. Smiley

A few years ago, I decided to try out a variety of hobbies: stamp collecting, photography, sewing, crochet.

All good and jolly, right? Well, I can't read a sewing pattern to save my neck. And, crochet patterns? Yeah, no. I don't understand them. They might as well be in Russian. So, I watched a few crochet videos online and settled on the very basic crochet stitch. I repeated the stitch roughly 3898723983 million times one summer until I made a lap-sized afghan.

Here it is. Yes, it's aqua, yellow, and pink. Yes, I'm kinda old for aqua, yellow, and pink. I decorated my college bedroom with these bright colors, so that's why I chose brightly colored yarn for this afghan blanket. After a few washes, this yarn afghan has become nice and snuggly.

Details- http://lilmissredtshirt.blogspot.com/2011/10/crocheted-afghan-just-call-me-grandma.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011 08:37:01 PM by LilMissRedTShirt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011 03:35:26 AM »

Holy crap on a cracker! An entire blanket out of slip stitches? That's amazing!

I hope the insane amount of time this must have taken doesn't turn you off of crocheting. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011 04:33:42 AM »

It might be a "simple" pattern but it looks pretty cute! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011 09:58:02 AM »

I love this afghan, the colors are so vibrant.

If you really did use slip stitch for the entire thing, I feel bad for you.  You should learn at least the single crochet for your next project, it would go much faster.  But even faster would be the double crochet stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kamehi
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011 10:08:34 AM »

Very pretty!

I actually thought this was a knitted blanket at first until I read that you crocheted it. The slip stitches make it look that way. Although it probably took you way more time than it would have if you had used other stitches, I bet it's wonderfully soft and drape-y, and not bulky or chunky like some crochet afghans can be. 

Beautiful color choices as well, so much fun but comfy looking at the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A fashionista at heart, a practical gal by nature! Queen of crochet <3
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011 11:26:20 AM »

Holy crap on a cracker! An entire blanket out of slip stitches? That's amazing!

I hope the insane amount of time this must have taken doesn't turn you off of crocheting. :-)

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure I've never heard "holy crap on a cracker" before. It did seemingly take forever (a few months, maybe?), but I like whatever stitch it was. It's an easy stitch to me.. I just couldn't figure out the others. I watched videos and got books on granny squares and double stitches, and couldn't muster those up. Maybe I'll try learning them again sometime. After this afghan, I started on another... I got a few inches into it, then forgot I started on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011 11:27:36 AM »

It might be a "simple" pattern but it looks pretty cute! Smiley

Thanks! I went with really bright pastels.. I had decorated my room that semester with bright colors. A bit young, but it reminds me of an ice cream shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011 11:29:25 AM »

Very pretty!

I actually thought this was a knitted blanket at first until I read that you crocheted it. The slip stitches make it look that way. Although it probably took you way more time than it would have if you had used other stitches, I bet it's wonderfully soft and drape-y, and not bulky or chunky like some crochet afghans can be. 

Beautiful color choices as well, so much fun but comfy looking at the same time!

Thanks. It is a fun colored afghan... doesn't match a thing in my home anymore, but I sometimes drag it out to brighten up an evening.

It did end up being pretty drappy after a few washes, thankfully. I figured this stitch was pretty common and the normal beginner afghan. Hah. I wish I could figure out any other stitch, especially granny squares or flowers, but they fly right over my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011 11:30:45 AM »

If you really did use slip stitch for the entire thing, I feel bad for you.  You should learn at least the single crochet for your next project, it would go much faster.  But even faster would be the double crochet stitch.

Thank you. Single crochet? I thought this was that... oops. My friend's grandma taught me this stitch in elementary school, then I managed to figure it out again. I tried (and failed) at the double crochet stitch. I guess it's hard to learn crochet stitches out of books if you're a beginner like me. Maybe I can find someone to show me how in person.. hm..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011 02:48:24 PM »

Thank you. Single crochet? I thought this was that... oops.

It probably is single crochet and not slip stitch - just different people using different words for the same stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...