A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alice in Wonderland...with creative liberties  (Read 2095 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
toribird
« on: November 03, 2011 12:54:09 AM »

Kazel and I started gathering excitement for Halloween this summer.  I would say that's when any enthusiastic crafter should start thinking about Halloween costumes but given some of these posts, that might be a low estimate. 

Anyway, kazel decided she wanted to be the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.  But what's a Red Queen without people to boss?  So we got together some of our closest friends (read: anyone we could talk into dressing up with us) and set out to make costumes...starting about a week before Halloween.  Hey, I said we were gathering excitement, not actually crafting.  To be fair, we did have ideas floating and sketches drawn, but very little actually made. 

That said, here's the finished product:

From left to right, we've got the White Queen, the Mad Hatter, Alice, the White Rabbit, and the Red Queen.  Our Cheshire Cat unfortunately decided to not show up. 

The White Queen is me - for the costume, I made the crown, corset, skirt, and underskirt.  The crown is made from lace dipped in a glue/water solution and let dry while stretched over a can of the appropriate size.  The corset was made from a pattern I drafted (with help from kazel, who is a corset queen) and is boned with zip ties!  The skirt and underskirt are a basic circle skirt worn over a no-sew tutu.

The Mad Hatter costume was thrown together very last minute.  The black lace cuff was actually made by midnight, I received it as part of a steampunk swap.  The white lace cuff I made.  The hat band is pieced together scraps of black and white fabric.

The Alice costume was almost entirely purchased, save for the apron, which I made from my own pattern.  (read: I cut out pieces of fabric without measuring - though I did hold the main piece up to myself before cutting - or drafting and hoped that they'd all work together well). 

Nothing in the White Rabbit costume was handmade. 

The Red Queen is kazel - she made the corset and we both worked on the skirt.  We painted the checkers on the front skirt panel.  This required two tries, as the first try taught us that watered-down acrylic just wasn't going to dry soft enough.  I believe the skirt is three trapezoidal pieces plus red strips for the borders.  Kazel drafted the patterns for both the skirt and her corset.  The other side of the corset is black and the whole thing is reversible for maximum costuming utility. 

Here's another picture of kazel and me:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my etsy!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/beartilla
I would love to do personal swaps.  Send a message if you want to do one!
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011 04:48:29 AM »

I can't decide who I like most! You all look fantastic! Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...