A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sizing up/down hats  (Read 689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hbrady99
« on: October 24, 2011 08:37:07 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or calculations or magic on sizing up and down hats.  I know that using different sizes of yarn will change the size of the hat due to the guage.  But what if I want to use the same yarn?  Specifically, I have an awesome pattern for stocking hats- but the largest size I have it in is 6-18 months.  I'd like to make the same hat in youth and adults sizes.   Cheesy  I'm fairly proficient at crocheting.  I'm even really good at math.  But I can't seem to change up patterns.  It's like a mental block!!!!  I could spend countless hours doing some trial and error.  But I know there's got to be some science to this I can apply!

Thanks so much!!!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. - Nietzsche

www.geekcrafts.com
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011 09:38:53 PM »

Whenever I crochet a basic single-crochet beanie/skullcap/toque, I just measure the hat! I do my increase rounds, and when it starts to look big enough, I measure around the circle with a dressmaker's tape measure. For my 21 inch head, I stop at 19 to 20 inches-ish. The hat does get a smidgeon bigger from the next non-increase row, but not really enough to matter.

For fancy patterns, I'm afraid I can't really help, but I do measure my hats to make sure my gauge is good when I get to the non-increase row. I've ripped out fancy-patterned hats like 3 or 4 times before getting the gauge just right for my head size, or even abandoning it for a difference-but-similarity pattern.

If you love yarny things, you should definitely sign up for Ravelry! It's like the ultimate yarny pattern encyclopedia, with a search functionality that allows you to search for knit or crochet or both, free or in magazines or purchase online or any combination thereof, etc, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hbrady99
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011 09:36:53 AM »

Thanks so much!!!  I wasn't sure if there was some crocheting secret I wasn't in on.  Lol- I think I try to make things more complicated then they need to be!

I am on Ravelry- have been for years.  But I always come to Craftster first.  I generally just look for patterns on Ravelry.  That's where I bought the kids pattern  Grin  I think I will swing over there to see what I can find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. - Nietzsche

www.geekcrafts.com
freetocre8
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011 05:54:22 AM »

Hi,
I often work with patterns to change them around to make them more the way I like them to be. There is definifely an art AND a sciene to it. Particularly in patterns where there is a lot of decreasing- if not done right it can become lop-sided or poorly spaced.   If you like, if you send me the pattern via mail (hardcopy) to
Amy Yampanis
13 Fairway Drive, Apt 8
Derry, NH 03038 or you can email it to my personal address if you are in a hurry or do not want have to send things all around the country- [email protected])  Tell me what it is you are trying to do- I will see what I can come up with- and I can type up the modifications for you. I am also adept at swapping colors back and forth - as if crocheting a checkerboard. 
Let me know if you would like any help (and this is an ongoing offer of help. I have been doing crocheting for 30 of my 37 years). 
Also I do make dream-catchers too, in cash too.
Happy Crafting,
Amy Y
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...