A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wine and Honey Marinated Lamb  (Read 949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TheFanatic
« on: October 19, 2011 01:24:30 PM »

I loves me some lamb.  Love it, love it, love it.  Just writing this up has me craving it again.  This recipe in particular. It was outstanding.

Here are the step by step instructions and here is just one pic because it's that good:

HEre's the instructions sans pics:

My love of lamb is well documented on this site. I absolutely love lamb.  Im not exactly sure why.  As a red meat its pretty bland and begs for a marinade, which is why I may love it so much as it takes on the flavors of a marinade more than just about any other meat. Normally I will slather it with basil pesto or maybe a red wine, honey mustard, rosemary sauce for a few hours and throw it on the grill, which are both outstanding, but this time I went a little more complex and was quite pleased with the results

Ingredients:

2 lamb racks, approximately 1.25 pounds each
1 cup dry white wine (not pictured)
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 of a small onion, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper

I had planned on putting rosemary in with this recipe, but I was out of it and found that it didnt really need it, but of course Ill have to test it again soon with the rosemary just to be sure. I also used no salt.  The soy sauce was enough.

I mixed all the ingredients but the meat in a plastic bag and churned them together to get the honey to dissolve, and then added the meat:

Soak in the marinade for a minimum of 2 hours, the longer the better. These soaked overnight.

The next day when I opened the bag, the aroma was intoxicating.  Next time I do this, Im making a reduction sauce out of the marinade. The smell of the marinade alone made my mouth water.

Heres the two racks ready to go on the grill:

Dont bother wiping or washing all that delicious marinade off.

I set up the grill for two zone grilling with coals on the right and nothing on the left.  I put the racks bone side down right over the coals:

After about four minutes I flipped them to give the meat side a good sear:

Dont be afraid if you get some blackening.  The marinade has honey in it, remember?  The sugars will blacken a lot faster than the meat will burn. Even if it looks like this, its still good to go:

Another four minutes and the meat side looks like this:

As Im going for maximum flavor crust here, I didnt stop searing there.  What about the bottom?  By using those bones to balance the racks, I can stand them up and get more sear action:

If I wanted to, I could stand them up on their sides as well, to get the ends, but after four minutes on the bottoms, I pulled them to the side with no coals to bake until done and close the lid:

Heres where I got into a little trouble.  I had way too much ash in the bottom of the grill and I could only get the chamber up to about 200:

Normally, I would bake these at about 275-300 for 10-12 minutes to get a perfect rare-medium rare, but with the temps so low in the chamber, I had to slide them almost on top of the coals and bake for 20 minutes to get an internal temp of 135:

After 20 minutes, I pulled them from the grill and put them inside to rest for five minutes to let the excited juices come to a rest and redistribute throughout the meat before slicing. Heres a second money shot from the one above just because I love lamb that much:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...