My Elder brother is a nightmare to buy presents for. Since I emigrated we have decided to give Christmas Presents a miss, but We all have birthdays around Christmas so there is still inspiration needed for that. My Mum and older brother love to play scrabble and seem to have a constant facebook scrabble game going! So I thought that maybe he may like a gift that is scrabble related. So I came up with the idea of a scrabble cushion cover! It's not exactly quilting, but the techniques I used are TOTALLY quilting techniques so I have put it in this category.
I should probably also reference
craftster post that I stumbled upon after starting my project. Looks like great minds think alike!
I started off by drawing out the tiles and stitching the 100 letters required:
Each tile is 1", with a 1/4" border all around. (so 1.5" in total)
Then, once I had finished stitching, I washed off the guidelines and cut up the scrabble tiles:
Then I had a full alphabet
I decided to use a record breaking board as my pattern: http://www.wolfberg.net/scrabble/lexington/score830/
And cut the blank, pink, light blue, blue and red squares that I required to complete the board.
These were then sewn together in horizontal strips.
Unfortunately at this point I got too excited and forgot to take pictures! But I'll do my best to explain the final steps.
I found that sewing 2 strips together and then sewing them to their ajoining strips was much easier that sewing each strip on individually. It made matching the MANY seams much easier. I pressed one line of seams to the left and the next to the right so that I got a neater finish and it was easier to line up.
Once I had completed the board. I opted for a black border to define the board, this is a 1/2 inch border ( with 1/4 inch seams, so they were 1" strips) and finished it to a 20" cushion cover with a plain coloured boarder to finish. Then I made it into the cushion cover you see before you:
Here is a close up of QUIXOTRY - the highest single play world record.
Now I have completed the project, I think the only thing that I would do differently is to embroider the letters AFTER I had put together the board. It would lead to the letters being more central on the squares.
C&C welcome. Let me know if there are any questions.