A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post about Scraps (I think)  (Read 5333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jexxican
« on: September 22, 2011 07:38:11 PM »

My stash is spread around my house. Mostly it has been in my room under the window, but one large box was in my baby's room on the buffet like thing we had in there. Since we are expecting another small one, I thought I needed to consolidate it. Here it is altogether:

And here are the scraps:

See that little grocery sack on top there? Well let me tell you a little story.
I've always wanted to get into quilting. With everything else I've done it has always seemed like a logical place for me to go next. My mom told me stories about how her grandma used to make quilts out of scraps, some of them only an inch wide. I thought that sounded cool and neat way to NOT throw things away. I always feel guilty about throwing things away. So any scraps that were an inch wide or bigger I saved. At one point I had so many I decided I wanted to segregate a certain color, so I chose pink. Why? I have no idea! I've always hated pink, but I had scraps so I pulled all the pink one and left them in a bag. Years later...
Enter Melissa Corry and her Wonky Stars Quilt-A-Long. I think I started following her because Sew Mama Sew told me to and kept following her because she kept having giveaways. So I figured I would make her Wonky Stars full size quilt with my pink scraps, and guess what? I pretty much did the whole things with JUST PINK SCRAPS! I threw in a little purple to *pop* but I didn't need to. That should put it into perspective just how much scraps I have.
Sneak Peak

Those first 2 pictures I posted are after I did the quilt, and after I went through my scraps again pulling what really might be too little to work with. That was an experience. Many thoughts of "Hey, I remember this fabric! I got it from...." and "Oh, look, Uncle Mike's pants! What did I do with the other leg?"
This is where the grocery sack on top comes in: That's all the stuff I decided won't work for future quilts. But there is so much of it I can't just throw it all away, can I? I mean, I saved it all because it is big enough to sew onto something, but man, that's just too much. And no, fabric scraps don't work very well as stuffing for toys. Tried that! What do I do?
Also, I told you I'm trying to make more room in our house by consolidating our spaces. I'm thinking about going insane and ironing all of my scraps. I know that would help a lot. I mean, after I finish the first set of wonky stars, I ironed all of my pink scraps and WOW! They took up only like 1/2 the space that they did before. Check it out:
Before:

:After
Am I nuts for wanting to do that will ALL of my scraps? I mean, really, iron them all? Or a I just becoming more space conscious? Or am I just being OCD to the extreme?
I did go through the the wooden toy chest and the plastic tub after those pictures were taken. I folded everything, though I do need to organize it, I'm thinking by color. But there is more space in there now. I even put some of what's in the cardboard box in there and found, who'da thunk it, another box of scraps!
And that big plastic bag on top of the toy box is ALL clothes I want to get use in my sewing and won't give away because a) they have sentimental value (but can't be worn anymore) like my Grandma's bowling shirts or b) they are stained or c) I only bought them/kept them because of the fabric. I should consolidate that too. Any tips?
I know there is another thread on organizing your stash so I'm not really going there... Where am I going?
I decided it would help to put some of this in the bottom of my closet but then when I cleaned that out I learned that the pipe from the bathroom that my closet shares a wall with is so old that it has started dripping out through my wall... Gotta wait at least another week to get that fixed. So what do I do with it all? I really want my room back. Maybe we should just buy a bigger house?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011 07:41:08 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 12:57:20 AM »

I find it hard to believe that ALL those scraps have sentimental value. How about separating some out and offering them on craigslist or freecyle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011 04:03:05 AM »

You know what? A bigger house will just make you collect more!

I should know.
We (my partner, my stepdaughter and I) live in a large house with seven bedrooms (on the first and second floor). One of the bigger bedrooms we call 'Bea's warehouse'. It is stuffed full with materials (most of them in see through storage boxes, but the more I collected, the more cardboard boxes I had to use).
Downstairs I have a studio, with two worktables and another large collection of crafting materials (stuffed away neatly in see through boxes piled against one wall and three double cupboards). And since that is still not enough, I have another room downstairs: an office slash craft room (called 'Bea's courtyard'), with my computerdesk, a couch, another working table (mainly for my crochet work) and lots and lots of shelves with more see through boxes, containing most of my finished products (the bigger ones are in a corner in my warehouse).
You see? Moving to a bigger house isn't the answer, lol!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011 04:04:32 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011 07:03:01 AM »

I find it hard to believe that ALL those scraps have sentimental value. How about separating some out and offering them on craigslist or freecyle?
I didn't say the scraps have sentimental value, just some of the clothes.

The scraps I keep because I don't throw things away. You know, the whole "keep everything, you might need it someday" thing. There are so many possibilities with them, I just need to find those possibilities and harness the power of will.

Would anyone really take fabric scraps on freecycle? And you know even is someone did want them, I would feel the need to iron them before I gave them away, just to be hospitable. Hell, I would want to iron them before i even listed them so I could organize them as per what people might want. But then after doing all that ironing and seeing how little space they take up afterwards, you know I would want to keep them because hey, they take up less space this way and I just worked my ass off to make them look pretty. You see how my mind works.

Bea, I totally understand what you mean. I have a feeling if we did get a bigger house with and actual room for my sewing/stashes that it would be shared with my husband's computer/game crap and while I would have more space than I do now, I don't think I would be as encouraged to grow my stashes. a 7 room house, though, wow! I would still get just one room to myself. I already know how the rooms would be divided and I'm tempted to tell you. I think since I've been with child this round I've been getting wordier, at least online. *sigh*

My daughter's middle name was almost Bea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

jungrrl
Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011 10:33:02 AM »

As someone who took the time to iron her stash (it was dual purpose, I was also checking for stupid carpet beetles!) I would say that if you think it will help you, do it! Put a movie or two on, get some coffee, and repeat for a couple of days Cheesy I think you'll be able to separate things out and at least feel more organized and together. And if you decide you hate doing it you can always stop. Smiley

I can't help you with projects. One day down the line it's on my to-do list to get together a bunch of projects/tutorials for small fabric pieces but it will be way down the line unfortunately!  Undecided  (But DO check out the tutorial lists we have up so far. maybe you'll be inspired?)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011 10:34:34 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011 11:15:41 AM »

So there is this thing going on where for each yard of fabric you donate to be sent to Malawi you post a comment and get your name into a drawing for lots of fabulous prizes. I just fit 17 yards of fabric into a flat rate box (medium?) from this stash to send. I will never use those pieces. Well, maybe some of them I would have eventually, but I think these people could use it more than I could. I just thought I would post that, since we have been discussing this kind of thing here. Kind of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011 02:25:34 PM »

Would anyone really take fabric scraps on freecycle? And you know even is someone did want them, I would feel the need to iron them before I gave them away, just to be hospitable...

Yes, they would!
Even when they are not ironed.
(I know I would. Fabric is expensive over here.)

(Oops, seems like I deleted too much of the quote, as in: the code that ended the quote. Now my text is in the blue part too...)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011 01:48:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed it! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergramma
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 07:56:46 AM »

Yes someone on Craigslist will take almost anything, when I cleaned my stash out I gave 4 bags full of yardage and scraps to one person.  No matter how bad you think you have the collecting bug, there is someone else out there who has it worse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Destri With TMH
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011 03:05:59 PM »

I had an insane amount of scraps.  My sister owned a fabric boutique, and I would take everything she put in her throw-out pile, and biy that got me into trouble!  Then, like you, I just couldn't throw anything away.  So I made a few hair accessories with some scraps I had, and when I was at a local children's clothing boutique they asked me if I would make them some.  It now brings in about $300 a month for me with only about 5 hours of work a week.  So I am glad I saved all those scraps, they have come in handy. 
I have to be honest though, I just buy more fabric with the money I make....I know, issues!

Anyhoo, find a way you can make some money from them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faithwallis
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011 07:31:25 PM »

You might want to look into crazy quilting.  It uses small scraps that you sew and flip on a backer fabric.  You can showcase all kinds of really beautiful stitching on it too.

I've seen some books on crazy quilts but I'm betting you could find some tutorials somewhere on the 'net.

If they are more of the pink, why not make a small crazy quilt to donate to a group like Project Linus?  Check what sizes they need and just have at it...

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...