A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool Wine Bottle collection. HELP!  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
BlueandBluerJ919
« on: August 23, 2011 06:48:38 PM »

Recently turned 21 !!

I really like wine and crafting!

I've started collecting wine (and some vodka) bottles, most are gifts, some with pretty glass, most with interesting labels.

My old house had a bar with wine labels decoupage-d to the top. But I want to do something a little hipper and younger with this collection. It also needs to be something I can take with me when I move, because its become a sentimental special occasion collection as well.

Please help! I'm pretty glass/tool savvy so get as technical as you want!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011 06:52:40 PM by BlueandBluerJ919 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReDesigns By D
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011 11:17:17 PM »

There are a ton of options, but I guess it depends upon how much you want to preserve the bottles.  (It sounds like you do)  If not, you could paint or collage the bottles and give them as gifts, or cut off the necks to work as guitar slides.  To preserve the beauty of the bottles, try making them into lamps with lamp hardware or drill a hole and put christmas lights inside (very pretty).  If you are cool with cutting, try cutting off the tops and making candle holders or even small planters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why recycle when you can upcycle?  Totally open to personal swaps, even if we make different stuff!
jasminerenee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011 09:44:25 AM »

I agree with the lamp idea! I had a beautiful blue bottle, so I stuffed a strand of 20-light Christmas lights into it, and hot glued the cord down the back of it. It looks so pretty tucked into my bookcase, and its plugged into the outlet attached to the wall switch, so if you walk into the room, you not only turn on the regular light, but that cute little blue lamp on the bookcase. So cute!

Jasmine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washingtonrain
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011 03:15:07 PM »

I've made candles out of mine, I cut the tops off with the "bottle cutter" kid (i's like $15 or something comes with sandpaper and instrutions on how to pop the top of the bottle off) then I make candles in the bottom, they are super cool the way the light works with them. you can even etch the outside with some fun designs, or just keep the lable on it if you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofbrightlights
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011 03:34:40 PM »

I propagated a spider plant in an old sake bottle:

DSCN5489 by ofbrightlights, on Flickr

It seems happy but it's only been there about a month.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011 03:36:25 PM by ofbrightlights » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow my homestead: homesteadish.tumblr.com  @homesteadish
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011 06:14:54 PM »

I etched some of mine and added pour spouts for oils, vinegars, sherry in my kitchen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...