A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necktie Flower Headband  (Read 1910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sisteroo
« on: August 15, 2011 11:00:34 AM »

(Tutorial pics at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/necktie-flower-headband.html)

When I first started dating Husband, he owned a total of four ties, which I really should count as three, because one of them was emblazoned with Snoopy. I love a man in a crisp, silk tie, so this was simply unacceptable. Without going into the gory shopping details, Husband now has ties. A lot of ties. And I have the job of weeding through those ties so I can justify buying him more. Enter the necktie headband. With a few snips and a little needlework, I transformed three of Husband's old silk ties into a darling, fashionable headband. Read on to find out how...

The tie headband is not entirely my idea because I first saw the tie flower idea on craftster. But I did think the flowers would look a lot better in monochromatic patterns, so I devised a simple way to make multiple petals from the same tie. I also thought that a couple of the cute flowers would look fabulous on a necktie-fabric headband. ...But headbands are only the beginning. You can also use necktie flowers on necklaces, purses, lapels--anywhere that needs a little burst of color. I affixed a few flowers on an old pearl necklace with this effect:

Picture at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/necktie-flower-headband.html

Fun, huh? To make your OWN necktie flower headband:

Tutuorial picture at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/necktie-flower-headband.html

1. Find two or three unwearable silk ties. (One of these ties came from Husband's original collection. Can you guess which one?)

2. Snip off a 3 inch piece from the skinny end of the tie. Continue to snip off 3 inch sections from the narrow end of this tie until you have 6 pieces.

3. Sew the unpointed ends into a tapered point using a simple overcast stitch.

4. Sew the petals together into a flower shape.

5. Cover a glass vase bead (or a button, or anything round shaped) with fabric from another tie. Glue the fabric covered stone/button into the center of your flower.

6. Measure the circumference of your head (mine is ginormous). Cut a piece of skinny-end tie 2-3 inches longer than your head circumference. Fit this piece to your head so it fits snugly. Sew the ends in place. Affix finished flowers to your headband with a simple stitch.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 03:51:15 PM by Sisteroo - Reason: Request from moderator. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011 01:48:21 PM »

Thank you for the tutorial, all I need to do now is persuade my husband to change a tie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...