A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
144 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Things not selling! Help please?  (Read 3573 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
KraftyKT
FeMailler, and proud of it!

Say no!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 12, 2011 11:35:23 AM »

I make chainmaille Jewelry, and have been exhibiting at a show for a few weeks now. I'm not the only jewelry vendor (duh,) but nobody else does anything similar to what I do. It's been 3 weeks, and other than a few little pairs of earrings, my stuff isn't selling and I don't know why!

I'm charging $5 for small earrings, $10 for large, $13-15 for bracelets, and $15-$30 for necklaces. Are my prices too high? Or maybe something's wrong with the stuff? Or perhaps it's just the crowd that wants more traditional jewelry? (The fair is in a nice section of Long Island, NY.)

Any advice from seasoned sellers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.facebook.com/KraftybyKT - See and Buy Chainmaille!

etsy.com/kraftybykt - Steampunk supplies!

How I pay for my craft supplies (in amazon giftcards) - http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/BewareTheThinker
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011 04:31:31 PM »

I've never sold at a fair, but I've been to a bunch and I read this board regularly (gosh, I wish I had the talent of some of you!), so here are my thoughts:

It could be the way you're displaying them isn't inviting enough, especially if everything is one-dimensional. Try setting up your necklaces on a velvet covered peg-board to take up some vertical space. A revolving tie rack could be useful for displaying earrings on cards. And you should be wearing the most ornate piece you've ever made so that people get an idea of your capabilities.

Another recommendation that I saw around here somewhere is to check out your competition. If you're priced even 10% below the average, and the fair in general is very artisan/high-end, people might be assuming that your work is shoddy or commonplace.

If you have pictures of your booth and your work, I'm sure the mega-experts around here could help you even more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShinyKitty78
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 08:35:56 AM »

It could be the patrons..especially if you are in a "higher end" area..the costumers may be looking for more "traditional jewelry also..do you purchase your rings or do you spin and cut them yourself?...I have friends that do chain maille..some spin and cut their own rings..others buy them...those that spin and cut their rings charge more for their pieces (of course IMHO you aren't charging enough for your work)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists http://www.wists.com/Shinykitty

Goddess Swap-Crafting like a fiend
CutYourHeartOut
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 01:59:24 PM »

I just checked out your shop. Lovely pieces!  I think your prices are amazing.  I think though, you might not be among your target audience.  I bet they are looking for more traditional jewelry.  Have you considered vending at Rennisance Faires?  Chainmaille does quite well there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cut.Your.Heart.Out - handmade jewelry, accessories, home decor and art work

Moxie and Mischief - for kids with energy, spunk and spirit
elmom
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011 02:27:38 PM »

i looked at your stuff too... you are too cheap! i mean your stuff looks great; it's priced low.I'll bet you're in a fancy area and people think if it's too cheap, it couldn't be "good." With prices like yours, your market is teenage girls/younger people. try and price a few things higher and see what happens....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KraftyKT
FeMailler, and proud of it!

Say no!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011 11:50:12 AM »

i looked at your stuff too... you are too cheap! i mean your stuff looks great; it's priced low.I'll bet you're in a fancy area and people think if it's too cheap, it couldn't be "good." With prices like yours, your market is teenage girls/younger people. try and price a few things higher and see what happens....

I had things priced higher, and nothing sold. I'd hoped lowering prices would help, but it doesn't seem to be working...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.facebook.com/KraftybyKT - See and Buy Chainmaille!

etsy.com/kraftybykt - Steampunk supplies!

How I pay for my craft supplies (in amazon giftcards) - http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/BewareTheThinker
jamanarchy

Flavors outside of the average jam jar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011 06:38:21 AM »

I am new to this forum but have about 25 plus years in the craft industry.

Number one I think your choice of colors is hurting you. I would make some in just metal with no color. Silver, copper, gold etc.

I would try to get some in colors that are not primary. Primary colors (like rainbow colors) are going to appeal to young women but not as many women past their 20's. Color is a huge deal in crafts. It helps to look at fashion and home decorating sites to see what colors are hot.

Do you have pictures of your craft show display? That is also a big deal to whether or not you sell.

One tip: I would redo some of the pictures on your website. Find a better way to display and photograph them.

I love chainmail jewelry! My niece made me some bracelets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxyroodle
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011 06:36:31 PM »

I agree that your prices are low so if you are not selling you must not be in the right place or its how you are presenting your product. 

It really helped me to think about who I was selling my product for, and who was buying it and why.
Doing this really helped me to realize that my biggest market at fairs is as gifts. The majority of people who are buying from me are giving it to someone else realizing that really helped to make sure I was presenting my product in a way that was appealing to that audience.

The other thing is make sure that your display looks amazing both up close and from far away. I was doing OK with sales and after I redid the lay out and made it more vertical rather than flat on a table our sales doubled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...