A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
125 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know how to give tulle a ruffled edge?  (Read 6112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: August 11, 2011 03:59:13 AM »

I was out shopping today and I saw this dress


I'm absolutely in love with the way the tulle is ruffled at the bottom. The picture's not very good but the only thing I can think to equate it to is if you've ever dont that technique to ruffle the sleeves on a t-shirt with a zigzag stitch, it looks like that but bigger ruffles. Its not a gathered ruffle at the bottom but it looks more like a wave if that makes sense.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows how to get this effect? When you look at the dress in person you can see that they attatched thin nylon cording (like fishing line, but thicker) to the edge with a surger, but I can't see how doing that would make the edge ruffley.

If anyone out there knows how to do this, I will serioulsy be in your debt forever........well maybe not forever, but I will love you for it  Grin

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Offline Offline

Posts: 3691
Joined: 25-Oct-2007

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011 05:34:02 AM »

Yup, fishing line is what does it, and I think the trick is that the original shape is a circle, rather than a rectangle.  The circle helps give you that ruffle-y look.

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011 03:13:10 PM »

Yes it is fishline and the other poster is correct the shape of the tulle pattern piece must be round.  If you have a serger you can do this easily by doing a rolled edge over the fishline.  I made a really ruffly petticoat for a friend this way.  Its the same technique used to create those ruffly dresses pagent girls wear.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011 01:48:06 AM »

Awsome! Thank you guys sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!! I think I'm gonna have to go get some tulle and fishing line this weekend and play around with it.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011 01:57:33 PM »


here is a link to a tutorial on the rolled hem on the serger.  She has the same one I do.  The foot has a hole in that you can thread the fishline through and then the machine just serges over it.  It take some practice to get the settings right, so when you figure out the right tension settings right them down so you can refer to them in the future.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011 09:44:03 PM »

Cool, thanks! I bookmarked the page but I'll go back and look at it more closely later. I don't have a real serger I just have that tiny serger from singer that I found at a thrift store for $3 (one of my best scores ever) so I'm not sure if it does everything a real serger does. But I've been wondering for a while now how to do a rolled hem with it so I'll mess around and give it a shot. Thanks again!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011 07:49:46 AM »

if you make the tulle into a circle skirt then hem it with satin bias binding itll give you this effect, you dont need fishwire.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011 04:22:28 PM »

Thanks, that's a good idea too. Plus I realy like the look of the tulle when its edged like that, I've just never done it because the thought of making that much bias tape makes my head hurt lol. But I did finally learn how to do that thing where you make a continuous strip of bias instead of cutting all the peices and sewing them together so maybe it won't be that bad.

I got charged with making more stuff for my friends wedding and then doing a couple halloween costumes so it looks like its gonna be a while before I get around to trying out these methods but I really appriciate the tips and I'll let you know how it turns out when I do finally get it done.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011 04:40:01 PM »

The type of hem on the dress (very cute, btw) is called a lettuce edge.  Here is a link to a discussion on how to do it, with lots of tips:  http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93518-1.htm

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011 12:00:00 AM »

Awsome! Thanks! That helps a lot.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Pasta Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.