A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first knitting project; Gryffindor Scarf.  (Read 2249 times)
Tags for this thread: gryffindor  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Nyxika
« on: July 23, 2011 01:00:22 AM »

My first post on the knitting boards!  Cheesy

My mum bought me a vintage (aka really old) knitting machine for me for my birthday back in February but I never really did more than sit down and poke at it, cast on (and re-cast on when all the yarn escaped the needles), run the carriage across the bed, mess up the tension, break the yarn, curse at it and leave it for another day.

And then I signed up for the Deathly Hallows 2 swap and my awesome partner noted she'd love a Gryffindor scarf. So of course I became determined to beat the machine into submission. It took a lot of trial, more error and even more cursing and begging it to work but I finally got it to play nice. I couldn't find the pattern people were using for POA style scarfs (the site is offline?) so I just went by eye. I'm not sure it has enough repeats or whatever, and the edge isn't perfect but Oodelally likes it so I guess it can't all be bad!  Wink

It's knitted extra wide and then doubled over (not sure of the correct terminology!) and mattress-stitched together so all the weaved-in tails are hidden on the inside. It's made of 100% Australian wool ( a LOT of wool - I ran out at one point and had to order more!) and is soo warm. I would have trouble giving it up if I was a Gryffindor. Wink

A picture of my lovely swap partner modelling it!

Thanks for looking!!  Kiss
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 10:35:32 PM by Noxika » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RobynChase

Harry Potter <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011 01:17:43 AM »

You did a brilliant job! I never would've guessed that it was your first knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011 04:48:01 AM »

Awesome! I guess a knitting machine is the best way to do this scarf. It looks perfect, and very warm. Great job! Now I'm tempted to get that hand knit machine that I own for the fun of it to work... A Hogwarts scarf would be worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arilique
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011 07:21:09 PM »

Oh wow. That turned out really nice. You did a great job !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jtlhmmwabodf
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011 12:12:49 PM »

My sister was begging me for a similar scarf a while back (although we're Slytherins in this house Wink) and seeing this really encourages me to get off my butt and knit it.  It looks crazy comfortable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nyxika
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011 06:03:09 PM »

Thanks for the kind feedback!

My sister was begging me for a similar scarf a while back (although we're Slytherins in this house Wink) and seeing this really encourages me to get off my butt and knit it.  It looks crazy comfortable. 

Ah, I do love the Slytherin colours, but I confess mine would have to be blue and bronze..and bronze is a pain in the butt to find.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkiequeen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011 06:19:26 PM »

I am new to knitting and never heard of a knitting machince before I read your post, Your scarf was awsome and looks so comfortable and warm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nyxika
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011 07:26:15 PM »

I am new to knitting and never heard of a knitting machince before I read your post, Your scarf was awsome and looks so comfortable and warm

I hadn't heard of them either -- until I got one for my birthday, lol.  Cheesy   There is a steep learning curve (at least there was for me  Tongue) but they're a lot of fun. I've also recently learned that there are some 'purists' who don't think it's as good as hand knitting, but to me that's kinda silly and narrow minded; like saying art done a computer isn't as good as something sketched with just a pencil.  Roll Eyes  So thank you so much for your kind feedback! I'm currently trying to hunt down some Ravenclaw colours to make another for myself, but bronze is hard to find!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...