A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,010
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bodice Help  (Read 832 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

moonlightrose91
« on: July 22, 2011 10:24:37 PM »

All righty then! I'm making a dress and am pretty capable of drafting my own patters(using the tried and true masking tape over then transfer to paper method) but the fabric I'm using is not very stretchy and, though I would love to use a simple tank top pattern, all of my tanks are stretchy, me being the full figured craftster that I am. I'm worried that if I do use that tank pattern, then my bodice will be too small. I have several dresses that don't have any stretch and fit like a dream that I can steal the pattern off of, but they all have those breast seams(or whatever the technical term is). I would rather the bodice be in one piece rather than in several, and I would love to save as much fabric as possible, but I don't have any extra for a mock up. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do or any advice with other clothing pieces I can use? Please help, and thanks for your time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011 06:55:45 AM »

Something to consider - since the tank tops are stretchy, they shape to your body without any seams or darts in the front, but if you use a non-stretchy fabric you need those to fit the curves of your body (unless you want a loose top, or have a very small chest). If you want a non-stretchy bodice to be fitted you will need at least darts under your chest, or those seams that go over (called princess seams). I would suggest using a pattern or piece of clothing that has them.
Another thing you could do, if you want to keep the bodice cut as one piece (well two, front and back), is add rows of shirring (elastic) starting with one under your chest and more below it to pull the fabric in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonlightrose91
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011 07:20:25 PM »

Thanks! And yes, I do want it a bit loose and flow-y. I'll try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011 09:00:20 PM »

In that case, you may get away without extra seams, but you will still need it to be bigger than a stretchy tank top since it won't stretch over your chest or when you're putting it on. Maybe try looking around for a pattern for something similar to what you want, just to see the line drawings to get an idea of the shape (the tutorials around here might have something too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vivd2012
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011 10:24:32 PM »

Thanks! And yes, I do want it a bit loose and flow-y. I'll try that!

It might worth u a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonlightrose91
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011 05:31:21 PM »

Again, thanks for the ideas! The material's a plain dark blue cotton, so it has a little stretch. Not much, but just a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...