A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
142 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grandmom's box  (Read 3031 times)
Tags for this thread: claddagh  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2011 05:12:26 AM »

DH's grandmom passed away this Spring.  It was exceptionally sad because she was our generation's last grandparent, and it felt like losing all of my grandparents all over again, even though it has been years.  Especially as his grandfather and grandmother reminded me so much of my paternal grandparents.

Anyways, she did not want a flashy funeral, or coffin or the whole shebang her husband had.  They were very much opposites.  He had the big church ceremony, and a huge wood coffin, with viewings at the funeral home.  She wanted to be cremated and a quiet ceremony with family and friends.

Jim's dad asked him to build her a nice box and if I could decorate it with a Claddagh heart because she was Irish, and loved everything it stands for, letting love and friendship reign.  I think all the girls in the family have a ring, including myself, even though I am Chinese.

This is what we built for her - our final gift.  A lot of love went into this box.  DH built it out of the prettiest clear cedar he could find, which was bought by the SO of his sister, who also helped him.  They finished it to the smoothest finish I have ever felt, finishing with an emery paper of fine fine grit.  I found a Claddagh pattern I felt suited her personality the best, transferred and burned that on.  I left a bit of space at the bottom in case they decided that they wanted to add a message.  Jim's dad and his sister decided they wanted her name on it.  Not her formal name, but what everyone called her; Vilma (she is formally Wilhemina, but no one ever called her that).

After the burning, DH finished it with several coats of clear coat, so carefully that it was like satin when he was done.

The kids wanted her wedding ring to stay with her, and were just going to crazy glue it onto the box, which I felt was just wrong.  I had a Victorian style cameo setting, so with everyone's permission, I took the ring, and made it into a cameo with clear resin.

They were going to put the box into a marble box they bought from the funeral home, but in the end, her kids all decided they liked it so much, that they would not cover it.  We had a graveside service just last month, so she could be buried when the flowers are blooming.  What surprised me was how many people took pictures of the box, and so many people complimented us and cried about it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011 05:27:38 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011 05:33:42 AM »

What a beautiful tribute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011 06:01:42 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss. The box turned out gorgeous. You can really see all the love that went into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011 06:43:36 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Onyxnox, but you sure found a wonderful way to commemorate her life. The box is beautiful, the woodburned pattern is so special and the ring setting is gorgeous. It's nice that so many family members were able to help with this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyMama
So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011 07:38:16 AM »

What a beautiful tribute.

I agree completely.  What a beautiful and touching tribute.

~Martha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
Kara B
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011 11:54:10 AM »

That is such a wonderfull and thoughtfull last gift!  I have tears in my eyes now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011 07:42:12 PM »

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.  I honestly think she would have loved it - she loved whenever any of us made things, and always knew how to make us feel special and talented.  It really touched me watching so many of her children and grandkids at the end of the ceremony go up and touch her wedding ring to say their goodbyes.  I am really glad we did this.

It just seems so much more personal than buying a box from the funeral home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011 05:54:58 PM »

Onyxox,
I am so touched by your box and the story that goes with it. I loved my grandma and still miss her after all these many years. What a wonderful tribute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pupper

If buttons ever become currency, I will be rich

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011 11:52:00 AM »

I am crying at work reading that.  I am very sorry for your loss.  The box came out beautiful and it is such a fitting tribute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarkingBandits

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/Pupper

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pupper/

I love swapping craft supplies!
imera
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011 11:39:46 PM »

Amazing box, wonderful back story. Wonderful how much you all love her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...