A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make up brushes  (Read 1153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Marley.Janee

When can I fall into Wonderland

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011 10:24:46 PM »

>>>Please move this if this is not in the right place to post about this.

So I see alot of people admire makeup on this site and I have been checking out the make up is an art board which can be found here https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=41350.0 but no one has posted on that thread for over three years.

Anyhow my question is, what is everyone's favorite make-up brushes? At the moment I am using some that my dad bought me called Sonia Kashuk. They are pretty good, and he got them at Target. I have lost most of them so I've been wanting to replace them.

Any other favorite items should be added here too maybe. Like everyone's must-haves in their make up cases. Such as my favorite gold eyeshadow Essence Color & Shine in 02 Stage Beauty. I recommend this light shimmery brown to anyone. Its AMAZING.

I'm really sorry about the lengthy post but I look forward to everyone's input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
judyann999
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011 08:02:38 AM »

I know a makeup artist that uses artist brushes (like at Michael's) for shadows and liners. They are great quality for the price, and come in loads of different sizes and shapes...flat, liner, angle, etc. I've been doing this for years, and when they wear a bit, I use them for paint.

Judy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marley.Janee

When can I fall into Wonderland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011 11:00:15 AM »

Wow. Never thought of this. I may have to go check them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellymarie1537
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011 08:25:56 PM »

I stay true to my MAC brushes, but I do LOVE Sonia Kashuk brushes. I've bought arts & crafts store brushes. The maxine mops work best and the ideal ones to use for all over are 1/2 and 1/4 inch. As the person above me said, they are very affordable and work just the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiecate57
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011 09:04:16 PM »

Michael's is a great place to get brushes. A good brand is Loew-Cornell. If you go to YouTube, people have made videos about which brushes are dupes for MAC brushes.

Here's the good about Craft store brushes:
cheap, easy to replace, last a long time, you can get two of each brush, find a 20%+ coupon and make a major haul on brushes

Negatives? They're not made for your face. So at times, they feel pokey. It's not a $40 brush (there's good and bad to that too), I have the fake 224 and it's not wearing nearly as well as my real MAC one. But for $2, I could buy a new fake 224 every other year for awhile to make up the cost of an authentic 224. The handles are different so you might be sensitive to the change.

Good brushes are important to getting specific results.

I have a few MAC brushes and it's true, they are superior. If you're heavy into eye makeup, start with the 217, 239, 224. You can return them if you don't like them or buy yourself one per month for a few months. I spend $30 on a lot of crap each month so one good quality brush is an investment, but truly an investment that will last you many years.

If you want good quality (maybe even professional quality) for cheap, check out Crown or Sigma. They're both great brands with kits, single brushes and the like. To my knowledge, you can only buy either brand online. I only have one Crown brush and it's pretty nice.

So the question you have to ask yourself is: am I going for professional results? Am I just looking for some okay everyday tools or do I want to be able to create media/bridal approved looks. Either way is fine, but don't spend $30 on a brush that you could have had suit YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS for $3. 

HTH Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
MyHuckFinn

My Lovely Sis and I...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011 04:09:27 PM »

I really love Mac brushes but have recently started using Eco Tool's make up brushes. They are lovely to use and kind to the enviornment! No shed and really soft on the skin :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...