A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 318,327
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower and Bee- My first embroidery... Do you want it?  (Read 618 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: July 06, 2011 11:44:39 PM »

I am just learning, so I thought I'd try out my first stitches, which started with some french knots, which turned into a flower, and then just sort of turned into a picture Smiley

The stitches I tried were french knots, lazy daisy, chain, split, backstitch, stem stitch and satin stitch.  Hey, when you say it that way it sounds like a lot! Go me! Haha.  I was surprised at how easy it was.  But I would very much appreciate any feedback on how to improve my technique Smiley

Here are some close-ups because I love when people post close-ups of their work!  You can see my french knots are pretty irregular.. practice makes perfect though Smiley

The little bee:

The leaf- I tried out the dark green in 6 strands but the rest is in 3 strands I believe.  

Here are some questions for you experienced stitchers:
-What number of threads do you think is best to work with?
-Did I do the satin stitch on the bee's face okay?  I wasn't quite sure what I was doing!  You can see the lines are a bit haphazard, but I do sorta like the effect it gave to the corner of his mouth.  Heh heh!
-Another random question about satin stitch- is there a reason you go right across the fabric in the back too instead of just making a tiny stitch across the back that is right next to where you pulled the needle through to the back?  (MASSIVE points to anyone who understood what I just said- lol!)

By the way, if anyone wants it, they can have it!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 11:46:17 PM by pinkcatflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011 12:00:13 AM »

I think it's adorable Smiley And I'm in a cheeky mood so I'm putting my hand up saying I would love it Wink....I live in Australia, so if that's a problem I understand (I don't know where you live Tongue)

My husband calls me lozza bee, so it's kinda fitting.

Could I make you something in return?

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011 06:49:59 AM »

Very cute!

To answer your questions: 2 strands when doing regular stitches, one strand for satin stitch.  This is a great tutorial http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/11/satin-stitch-video-tutorial.html.  It's for padded satin stitch, so just cut out the padding if you want to do regular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome!

My Etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
My other Etsy shop: http://geekygiftlady.etsy.com
pinkcatflower
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011 06:13:11 PM »

Hi Oodelally! I'm in New Zealand so that actually is quite good! Haha.  I will have to think of anything I could swap for it Cheesy
I'm glad someone would like it!  PM me and we'll sort it out Smiley

Amigurl55- Thanks for your advice.  1 strand for satin stich?  That sounds like a lot harder work!  I see from the video that it is supposed to give a smoother end result so will try it!

And anyone who has any more constructive criticism or advice on my questions- hugely appreciated  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!
Meatless Monday: Croissant Bread Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...