A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Reconstructed Men's Shirt to Button-down Tank Top! (surgery prep)  (Read 98221 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , sustainable , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011 , tank_top , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011 07:48:41 AM »

Save the forced creation of a pillow in the shape of a hamburger for high school home ec class, I've never sewn anything in my life.

And this wickedly cool post has inspired me to give it a go.

Well done! Thanks for taking the time and energy to post such a wonderful and useful tutorial!

~CD~

p.s. Hope you have recovered nicely from your surgery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
smashu

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011 08:07:09 AM »

Save the forced creation of a pillow in the shape of a hamburger for high school home ec class, I've never sewn anything in my life.

And this wickedly cool post has inspired me to give it a go.

Well done! Thanks for taking the time and energy to post such a wonderful and useful tutorial!

~CD~

p.s. Hope you have recovered nicely from your surgery.
Wow, that is a lovely compliment! Thank you! My goal was to make the instructions user friendly enough that people who didn't have a great deal of experience on a sewing machine could still make their own version and it sounds like I have done that! Really, I think this could also be done by hand as well but I am much more proficient with my machine Smiley

For the record, a hamburger shaped pillow sounds pretty cool! I think our home ec class got to make a pillow case lol

Thanks for the well wishes. Recovery has been ongoing but I am feeling much more energetic these days. I was sewing like a fiend before it and afterwards I lost my drive to create. It feels good to finally start making and posting things again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
Akkhima
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011 12:31:24 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this. My wife is transgender and we still have all of her old male clothes and were about to get rid of them. This is a great way for us to make use of them instead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashu

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011 01:36:19 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this. My wife is transgender and we still have all of her old male clothes and were about to get rid of them. This is a great way for us to make use of them instead!
I'm so glad I could help Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

spaz2phreek
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011 09:26:03 PM »

How cute! Next time the boyfriend says he's going to toss some of his dress shirts (because he always wears the same 7 shirts) I'm going to dramatically scream "Noooo!" Then calmly demand he give them to me so I can make cute shirts like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
smashu

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011 03:51:54 AM »

How cute! Next time the boyfriend says he's going to toss some of his dress shirts (because he always wears the same 7 shirts) I'm going to dramatically scream "Noooo!" Then calmly demand he give them to me so I can make cute shirts like this.
*giggle* I approve, especially the dramatic screaming! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber.hope
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011 09:25:58 AM »

I was considering trying this with big t-shirts! As thats all I seem to wear since I had my daughters Embarrassed I'm just not super confident with my weight so I wear my husbands t-shirts more than he does Tongue Wish me luck! And thank you so much for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011 03:19:24 PM »

This is totally awesome!  I have a new item to check for at the thrift stores...big mens button downs!  Being plus size, a 'regular' men's shirt won't work out for me.  Well, maybe a XXL.  We'll see what I come up with!  I also have a guy friend that wears a 4X, I think I'll ask him if he's planning on cleaning out the ol' closet soon Wink  Thanks so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Zoe ♥

STS Spring Market 2019
PINTEREST
Will personal swap for a crochet or knitted Totoro teapot cozy (see my Pinterest YARN board!)
smashu

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011 03:59:49 PM »

I was considering trying this with big t-shirts! As thats all I seem to wear since I had my daughters Embarrassed I'm just not super confident with my weight so I wear my husbands t-shirts more than he does Tongue Wish me luck! And thank you so much for the tutorial!

You should! Even with 300 stitches and tons of bandages one of these was modest enough that I wasn't self-conscious but was still allowed to feel a little cute after my surgery Smiley Plus using cotton/cotton blended second hand shirts is just super comfy because they are so soft! Good luck! Let me know how it goes Smiley

This is totally awesome!  I have a new item to check for at the thrift stores...big mens button downs!  Being plus size, a 'regular' men's shirt won't work out for me.  Well, maybe a XXL.  We'll see what I come up with!  I also have a guy friend that wears a 4X, I think I'll ask him if he's planning on cleaning out the ol' closet soon Wink  Thanks so much for the tute!

Thank you! Actually, I found (at least up here in Toronto) the big thrift stores actually had alot more XL and XXL sizes in men's shirts than the smaller ones. My issue was finding shirts with snaps in any size at all because I wasn't really up to buttoning up anything manually after my surgery. I was thinking of how else you might do this if you find a shirt you like that is too small. I would recommend possibly getting two shirts that compliment each other. Then you could use one for extra fabric and add in a back panel and even a panel a few inches along the bottom for length. I'm not sure if I am making any sense... Maybe I should make a diagram! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarad
The Raddest

Were you saying boo or Boo-urns?

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011 09:47:38 PM »

Awesome idea! That shirt is too cute. And nice job with the tute! I'd love to see an action shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty? Like a fox my friend. Like a FOX!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...