A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
271 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 Costume-Along  (Read 46495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

omgitsalisa
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011 09:19:24 PM »

I don't really dress up for Halloween anymore (because I never have any place to go and we don't get many trick-or-treaters here) but I am making my 4 year old niece's costume. She wants to be a mermaid. It's not as big or complicated as any of the ones posted here, but I'm getting pretty excited. I found a pattern that I think I can modify to suit my vision and I'm going to buy fabric tomorrow. Lots of shiny stuff, and iridescence. I just hope I can figure out how to actually sew what I want. And even before I get the costume started, I'm already thinking of a matching bag for her candy. Can't decide between pretty seashell or open-mouthed fish. And the accessories! Seaweed boa made from tulle! Pearl fascinator with clip on purple hair extensions! Oh the possibilities. Considering it's only my second garment (the first being her fairy costume from last year) this is going to be a real challenge. We'll see how many of my ideas actually get executed and how well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrickyMcVomit
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011 10:03:07 PM »

I am working on turning my boyfriend and I into Chris Farley as the lunch lady from Lunch Lady Land and her beloved Sloppy Joe.
in case you are unfamiliar with the SNL skit:

I figure, even if no one knows the skit, we are still recognizable go togethery things, so that pleases me.

I will be playing the part of sloppy joe (LOVE that my boyfriend has zero problem dressing in drag) and decided immediately that I cannot wear a costume that big...so that giant sandwich will become a petite dress. I've already made most of the sloppy joe portion using latex and Styrofoam stuffing from a sacrificial tiger...my first time using latex...and trying to get the right texture and keep it light, let's just say I spent a lot of trial and error money =0( lucky I had a 40% ac moore coupon. I will post progress photos soon..

The hardest part is going to be finding a very large waitress style dress...my bf is not plus sized, he's super sized!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011 07:31:26 AM »

I am working on turning my boyfriend and I into Chris Farley as the lunch lady from Lunch Lady Land and her beloved Sloppy Joe.

The hardest part is going to be finding a very large waitress style dress...my bf is not plus sized, he's super sized!  Cheesy

Singing *Sloppy, sloppy Joe...*  Genius!

If you are not adverse to online, try woman within: if they don't have a housedress that might work, they also have a direct link to on stop plus size online outlet.  Sorry for not including links, but I'm trying to keep this quick - I'm supposed to be working  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
TrickyMcVomit
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011 12:29:46 PM »

LOL no problem!! Actually I just picked up something at Goodwill that might work. It is 2pc but the costume has an apron to hide that. I'm just not sure if it fits him yet because we are both at work.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christysaysrawr
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011 12:20:39 PM »

So this year since I'm short on cash I am going to go the Where's Waldo Character route.
I need help making the hat! I cannot knit or crochet to save my life. I tried to learn and failed Sad
I was thinking of buying a beanie, cheap but the ones I have seen are 100% Acrylic, which I can't dye- any other suggestions for getting that red stripe around the bottom? Perhaps I'll just have to find a red shit at Good Will and sew it to the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011 02:31:03 PM »

So this year since I'm short on cash I am going to go the Where's Waldo Character route.
I need help making the hat! I cannot knit or crochet to save my life. I tried to learn and failed Sad
I was thinking of buying a beanie, cheap but the ones I have seen are 100% Acrylic, which I can't dye- any other suggestions for getting that red stripe around the bottom? Perhaps I'll just have to find a red shit at Good Will and sew it to the bottom.

You could just go T-shirt all the way: sew alternating strips of white and red and then make a pom-pom with yarn or strips of t-shirt.  I'm drawing a blank on if waldo has a pom-pom, but if he does, see previous sentance  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erica_tattoos
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011 03:29:02 PM »

i cannot exaggerate enough how wonderful fleece is for the beginning sew-er. it's easy to work with, stretchy, doesn't need hemming, and is very forgiving of flaws in construction. i'd probably use it to just make the whole hat, but it would be equally easy to use strips of it to attach to a white beanie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrickyMcVomit
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011 09:05:27 PM »

i cannot exaggerate enough how wonderful fleece is for the beginning sew-er. it's easy to work with, stretchy, doesn't need hemming, and is very forgiving of flaws in construction. i'd probably use it to just make the whole hat, but it would be equally easy to use strips of it to attach to a white beanie.

Yes Fleece. I thoroughly agree with this statement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011 12:45:01 PM »

See, this makes more sense than the t-shirt idea.  Wish I had thought of it.  Wink
If your local fabric store has a remnant bin, that's a cheaper way to get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonlightrose91
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011 03:58:34 PM »

HEY! Is it too late to still get in on this? Maybe I'll finally get the motivation to actually start my costume! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...