A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 323,326
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mechanical Hand  (Read 10795 times)
Tags for this thread: hand  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ChainCrafts
Archaic Artisan

The Nyckelharpa is a lovely, strange beast!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2011 10:47:10 AM »

It lives!!! Now my plans to destroy the world via a very indirect and overly complicated method can be realized!

This hand is a fully-functional costume prop. Each finger is controlled by the corresponding finger on the wearer's hand by a steel cable. The fingers return to their "neutral" (starting) position with the assistance from springs located at each joint underneath the knuckles. It's articulated enough to grant the ability to pick up and drop objects.

Here is a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHiAItVdiw

I have a description of the build process on my blog: http://chaincrafts.blogspot.com/

**UPDATE**

After a request from araminya, here are a few more images:

A close up of the fingers in the relaxed position

A close up of one of the fingers in the flexed position. To answer Araminya's request, the fingers are operated via cables that pass through guide loops. They then return back to their neutral position with the assistance of the springs that you can see in the pictures.

Finally, here is a close-up shot of the finger-loops. The thumb loop is a bit too small, so that will require a minor adjustment in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011 08:58:01 PM by ChainCrafts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011 10:58:59 AM »

Nice. Looks really fun to use too. How did you end up dealing with the sharpness of the wires?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011 11:19:57 AM »

That is only mildly creepy.  And really really cool!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
TimetravelingArchaeologist
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011 12:16:45 PM »

This is awesome!
The size makes it's kind of creepy fun.

DO you have a costume in mind to use this one for or is it a sale piece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the middle of the journey of our life I found myself within a dark woods where the straight way was lost. - Dante Alighieri, Inferno
Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011 12:23:01 PM »

wow!...well, I, for one, welcome our new giant-robot-handed cyborg overlords. All hail ChainCrafts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
microjivvy
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011 12:23:55 PM »

whoaaa.  I watched the video and I so want one of these.

I'm sure I could think of something to do with it.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
ChainCrafts
Archaic Artisan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 01:18:43 PM »

Nice. Looks really fun to use too. How did you end up dealing with the sharpness of the wires?
My initial finger prototype very quickly showed me how desperately I needed to deal with that very issue (I have a few cuts on my hands at the moment Wink ). What I ended up doing was utilizing my cable ferrules to contain the sharp ends of the cables. Here is what a ferrule looks like:
http://http.cdnlayer.com/ec1images/225/products/9/998013274_082407_dv.gif
When creating the loops for my fingers, I made sure to insert the rough end of the cable so that it was either flush with, or slightly inside, the end of the ferrule. Then, when I flattened the ferrule to set the cable in place, the sharp end was locked inside, thus saving my fingers and hand.

The cables are still uncomfortable on the fingers, but I'll solve that with a pair of tight leather gloves (black of course Wink )

This is awesome!
The size makes it's kind of creepy fun.

DO you have a costume in mind to use this one for or is it a sale piece?
Well.... I guess the answer is YES! I know that is a silly answer to a this or that question, but I plan to do both. In the short term, I am using the hand as part of a costume that I'll be wearing to a Sci-Fi convention that my wife and I are attending. We're both going for a look that feels like a fantasy version of the old west meets the WW2 era. Along the lines of a bomber pilot who fell into a rift in the space time continuum and landed in a parallel reality in the 1860's. I'll update this thread with a picture of my complete costume once I get the final piece, a fun piece of head-ware that I purchased from a leather company.

In the long term, after the convention perhaps, I'll make hands like this available for purchase. I will, however, be abiding by the rules of Crafster so I won't be posting anything about it when the time comes. It will just appear on the web somewhere Wink
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013 07:57:27 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellbell005
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011 02:04:36 PM »

All I can say is this is FANTASTIC! You are very skilled. Keep up the great work!! Make sure you post costume pictures afterwards! I was trying to imagine you're costume, and I doubt I got it right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eodril

Armed and Dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011 02:48:31 PM »

Quirky.  In a GOOD way!  So what are you planning for lefty?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChainCrafts
Archaic Artisan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011 03:01:25 PM »

Quirky.  In a GOOD way!  So what are you planning for lefty?

Lefty is going to be left free so that I have a hand with which I can dig in my pockets, feed myself etc (although I did toy with the idea of making a fork and spoon accessory for the hand, lol). I will, however, have this on my left shoulder:

(credit for the photo goes to Jen Martin Studios, models are Michelle K. & Andrew Figgs)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...