A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with stem stitch  (Read 774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

rubylynns
« on: March 31, 2011 04:02:35 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to embroidery, I just started a few weeks ago.  I saw an ad for Sublime Stitching and fell in love.  I've read some books and I've mastered the french not and many other stitches, except the stem stitch.  I don't quite know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't get it to run along the line.  I've been practicing it, but any tips will be greatly appreciated.  I've been doing all my outlining in back and split stitches but would really like to expand. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I *heart* Pintrest

http://pinterest.com/rubylynns/

Follow me on Instagram

https://instagram.com/rubylens/
AGFH
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 06:51:20 AM »

All I can say is that when I do a stem stitch I bring the needle up through the fabric on the extreme left side f the line and then put it back down through the fabric on the extreme right side of the line. Then on the next stitch I bring the needle up through the fabric on the extreme left side of the line approx 1/2-2/3 up the previous stitch, making sure to keep the previous stitch to the right of my new one. The left to right angle is slight enough that the stitch above will push the lower stitch slightly to the right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
jemimah
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011 02:24:08 PM »

I usually take the needle up in the same hole as the end of the previous stitch, right on the line. (I think technically it's the difference between stem stitch and crewel stitch - one looks like back stitch on the back, the other has gaps - both are great stitches, just try and see which one works best for you. Smiley)

Make sure you're always holding your thread on the same side of the line (usually to the outside of the curve, but the most important thing is that it's always to the same side). Don't pull it too tight, and if you're going round a sharp curve, you need to make your stitches short enough to sit nicely.

Hope that's helpful! Feel free to PM or post a pic if you want some more suggestions. I'll look forward to seeing what you're creating Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...