A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JULY NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: It's time to enter FLIP FLOP FUSION! Enter your fab flip flop project now!
Total Members: 318,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Dolls (and one Plush) 4/14 Update  (Read 7358 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , tardis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laialda
Only slightly mad

Have yarn, need stash of time...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2011 11:46:00 AM »

I've just started watching Doctor Who and not only fell completely in love with the series, I also couldn't wait to try my hand at making some Amigurumi dolls for it.

My first go had to be with Nine. I started the series with the reboot and I do love that daft face. Cheesy

Ten took me a few minutes to figure out how to do all his clothing layers, but I'm very happy with how he turned out. The hair isn't quite how I'd like it but I know if I fiddled with it more then it would only look worse. >.<

Eleven is up for vote on my deviantArt account as to weather or not to keep his Fez. Seemed only fair to let fans decide since I've not seen him in action yet. Smiley

Rose Tyler was very straight forward except for dying the hair. That took a bit longer then I expected, but turned out nice I think Smiley. She has pockets and a hood as well, but you either can't see them here, or not decently at least.

Nothing too difficult here with the Cyberman. Some modifications of patterns I'd already made to make the armor. Had to redo some details as gray on gray makes for difficult viewing but it turned out quite cute I think.

This is one of the most involved plush/amigurumi pieces I've ever done. Making up the pattern as I went left this taking me the better part of a week to make, but well worth the time. Not only did all the layers give the body re-enforcement to help make a more geometric shape, it also allowed me to add a function that makes me grin when I see it.

See the light on top? When you press it, the Tardis makes the materialization/dematerialize noise.! ^_^
I even left a part on the bottom with hook/claps so the 9v battery can be changed.

Except for the sound chip, everything about these dolls has been handmade. I was a long time cross-stitch/embroideder before I got into crochet and I like being able to add those tiny details by hand. Course, the only way to get accuracy with the door sign on the Tardis was to write on felt instead of back stitch but I think it turned out nicely. Cheesy The Doctor's Sonic Screwdrivers were made out of scuply and painted.

I'm currently working on making a pattern for the Tardis from my notes and pictures I took while constructing it. If I can, I'll have it up this weekend via a link to a deviantart tutorial image I'll be making. I've never written down a pattern for others though so here's hoping it turns out understandable! Tongue
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011 06:00:42 PM by laialda - Reason: Added doll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my collection of projects here: <url>http://coliescutecrafts.deviantart.com</url>
SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011 04:40:44 PM »

Where did you get the sound chip? Did you cannibalise something else Dr Who for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
laialda
Only slightly mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011 06:10:07 PM »

Where did you get the sound chip? Did you cannibalise something else Dr Who for it?

Nope, I bought it from radioshack.
<url>http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102855</url>

Lets you record up to 20 sec of sound. The main problem you run into is the record button placement with it as you don't won't anyone pressing it after you've sewn up your plush object. I solved that by sewing it to the bottom of the inner panel I made to hold the sound card.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my collection of projects here: <url>http://coliescutecrafts.deviantart.com</url>
SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011 06:42:25 PM »

That's so awesome.

And that radioshack circuit is exactly want I need to make us a doorbell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
laialda
Only slightly mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011 08:02:51 PM »

That's so awesome.

And that radioshack circuit is exactly want I need to make us a doorbell!

O.O Are you planning on making a Tardis sounding doorbell? Cause that might possibly be the most epic thing I've heard of. Though any custom doorbell would still be brilliant. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011 08:28:24 PM »

Possibly, perhaps once we've seen the new series (my partner insists we watch all 600+ episodes of the original in order first, and I'm having a hell of a time tracking them all down).

I was actually thinking of getting a resin cast of the Doorkoncker with the ring in his ears from Labyrinth, and using one of his phrases as a doorbell. That way I could set up the contacts from "pressing the button" as when the knocker ring meets the base so that knocking sets off the doorbell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
laialda
Only slightly mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011 07:56:52 AM »

I was actually thinking of getting a resin cast of the Doorkoncker with the ring in his ears from Labyrinth, and using one of his phrases as a doorbell. That way I could set up the contacts from "pressing the button" as when the knocker ring meets the base so that knocking sets off the doorbell.

That is still just as brilliant. Possibly even better for the humor value really! ^_^ Are you thinking the line where he goes "Mumble, mumble, mumble can't hear you!"? You've got a whole 20 seconds to work with. It'd be fun if you added the pause and then the next line "Nope! Still can't hear you!". ^_^ Either way, I look forward to seeing it when it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontdresslikeapril
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011 06:56:32 PM »

that is a super cute tardis! and i love rose tyler's hair! perfect touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spikefan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011 10:47:46 AM »

They are all so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karens007
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011 04:23:03 AM »

They are just wonderful. I would love to try to make your tardis if you took notes. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 20th: National Moon Day
Tute Tuesday: Neapolitan Ice Cream Scrub
Finding Frida Kahlo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...