A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bellydance Gear - my collection, and two videos based on said gear  (Read 2058 times)
Tags for this thread: belly_dance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kiera-oona
« on: March 17, 2011 01:25:25 PM »

As some of you from other diy sites might know, I am a very multi faceted person, and making, sewing and dancing in bellydance gear is no exception.

about 90% of anything I am wearing on any of my dance photos I either made myself, or upcycled and altered from various sources and materials...even right down to my dance socks and jewellery.

So...first off, some photos and explinations, mainly focusing on the clothes.

In this photo, this was my second public performance. I made the shirt, hipscarf, skirt, socklettes, headdress, and arm band.  The shirt I made from a pattern (simplicity I think it was), the skirt I made from scratch by recycling other skirts.  The hip scarf I made by sewing the base in 2 pieces that tie up at the sides, then adding all the pompoms, coins and embellishments after.

In this photo, I re-covered the bra top which was originally white, then added all the embellishments, and I also made the black top (as mentioned in previous photo)I made the patchwork skirt from various quilting projects that I had squares left over from a 9patch swap I was doing.  There's also a wonky star block (I think its under the pannel skirt in this photo) as a reminder of the work I did on the Bushfire Quilt charity group (people who lost their homes in Victoria Australia due to bushfires), along with quilting cotton fabric I found at my local thrift store.  There are pantaloons under the skirt...for decency purposes when twirling on stage.  The panel skirt was done in 2 sections, a front and back, made from a sari I bought, and all the mirriors were sewn on by hand.  The beaded mandalas I also did myself.

For those who wish to be entertained by how much gear a dancer actually has to put on in terms of clothing (and jewellery), feel free to watch the video below, as well as the performance video done that same day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlGTNsrbqs - gear video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINiNUpvdYc - the performance video

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011 02:04:51 PM »

Wow, beautiful work! I love the tribal bellydance look. I'd love to take up bellydancing, but my stamina and knees aren't what they used to be. Sadness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011 04:21:56 PM »

Gorgeous!  Beautiful gear and lovely dancing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011 04:54:04 PM »

I tried to type a zagarheet but it just looked silly. Wink

I love it all but especially covet that patchwork skirt!  So pretty!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
kiera-oona
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011 05:41:24 PM »

I tried to type a zagarheet but it just looked silly. Wink

I love it all but especially covet that patchwork skirt!  So pretty!!!

ya, usually the word 'yip' works good in this circumstance.

The ladies at my sewing machine repair shop saw me wearing it one day and threatened (jokingly) that they would hunt me down and kill me if I ever sold it :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011 10:45:37 AM »

Your work really shows! You look lovely. I can't wait to get home and watch the videos.
I'm just starting dancing right now. I cannot wait to have fancy costumes like yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
kiera-oona
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011 06:54:14 AM »

Your work really shows! You look lovely. I can't wait to get home and watch the videos.
I'm just starting dancing right now. I cannot wait to have fancy costumes like yours!

You too can have fancy costumes....its just about knowing how to get things to fit, and having alot of patience for alot of machine and hand sewing...believe me it took at least 2 months go get all the shisha mirriors on the way i wanted them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...