A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
202 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cupcake?  (Read 3999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

EmaeCrochet
« on: March 17, 2011 11:34:54 AM »

Hi there!I'm sorta new. But I have stalked your board for years! For some reason im just now making an account.
Anyway....
I'm interested in making cupcakes. With a removable crocheted wrapper.
I seen these....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripeyblue/2904521790/

Does anybody know how she would have swirled the icing like that?
And the wrapper looks knit.Does anyone know what type of stitch she would have used for it?

My daughter loved these cupcakes and she would be tickled if i could make some for her to play with.
I have seen other cupcake patterns but none like this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pigeonweed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011 04:32:11 PM »

Since Amigurumi is worked in the round, I'm guessing you just make a cone shape then use a chain stitch to follow it. Notice that the icing doesn't have visible holes compared to just the cupcake?

It's hard to describe, but here's a Japanese blog with photos:
http://gurumigurumu.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-284.html

Look at the blue thread from the photographs. I think you just follow the gaps in the amigurumi and because it's worked in the round, it will naturally make the swirling pattern.

I haven't personally tested it, just a theory. I've never really made a cupcake swirl before now I'd like to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmaeCrochet
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011 08:25:26 PM »

That was very helpful,thank you!
I bookmarked that page.
If you end up trying it out let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011 11:27:43 AM »

You have to register to see it but Lion Brand has a cupcake with similar icing: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70756AD.html?noImages=
However, it is a combination of knit and crochet.

You could try different FLO and BLO combinations to create ridges that mimic knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fringey
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011 05:04:19 PM »

Not sure about the swirly top - that is really cool I will try to figure it out.

For the wrapper it could be a front post/back post variation. If I remember correctly (I don't do this often) it is a method of emulating knitted ribbing with crochet by inserting your hook arounhd the post of the stitch instead of through the top of it (the V). There are tutorials.

If that isn't it, you could check a bookstore or library for a crochet stitch book like the Harmony Guides and see if they have it in there.

Also, this crafter sells her patterns, here is one for the cupcake - I might just buy it! http://www.etsy.com/listing/71773873/cupcake-amigurumi-pattern-pdf-crochet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Massacre
Where geek and crochet meet

Kitty's and crochet make the world go round

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011 02:03:38 AM »

You can get the ribbed effect by doing HDC into the loop on the back of the stitch. I've been making this hat http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-crochet-cupcake-hat.html for my friends birthday and it uses the rib effect on the headband (the link explains it better than I can!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellymarie1537
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011 04:23:26 PM »

I found those cupcakes, too, and I'm DYING to learn how to do that swirling icing. I've tried to figure it out, and while it turns out well at first, it ends up being flat in the end.

Update: I found a SIMILAR pattern which I downloaded and forgot where I downloaded it from. I modified it a bit to give myself the swirl. I chained 4, 6 hdc in 2nd loop from hook, sl st into first hdc, 2 hdc in each hdc backloop and continue to increase until desired size. when you get to that size you want, slip stitch all the way to the top. It turned out well, but some parts of the increase, I sc rather than hdc or dc, so just remember to stay consistent. I hope that works for you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 02:20:53 PM by kellymarie1537 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tabbie07
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015 10:14:15 AM »

I found those cupcakes, too, and I'm DYING to learn how to do that swirling icing. I've tried to figure it out, and while it turns out well at first, it ends up being flat in the end.

Update: I found a SIMILAR pattern which I downloaded and forgot where I downloaded it from. I modified it a bit to give myself the swirl. I chained 4, 6 hdc in 2nd loop from hook, sl st into first hdc, 2 hdc in each hdc backloop and continue to increase until desired size. when you get to that size you want, slip stitch all the way to the top. It turned out well, but some parts of the increase, I sc rather than hdc or dc, so just remember to stay consistent. I hope that works for you.

Do you have a video or a pic tut on this? I too really want the swirly icing cupcakes and I keep coming up with flat pieces...Arg!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...