Healthy Spiced Pumpkin Pudding Cake
(Can be easily made into regular cake with longer cooking time, I’d suggest at least an additional 15 minutes.)
Adapted from Rebar’s Pumpkin Millet Muffins Instructions
* 3 flax eggs (instructions here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2280938_substitute-flax-seed-eggs-baking.html
* 1 ½ cup pumpkin purée
* ½ cup rolled oats
*1/2 cup hulled hemp
* 1 ¾ cups of flour (I used a mixture of spelt, kamut, and a dash of quinoa)
* ¼ cup pistachios (raw)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
* ½ teaspoon of salt (I used sea salt)
* 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon (I think I will up this next time)
* Dash of nutmeg
* 3 teaspoons of ginger (I think I will up this next time)
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 1 cup milk and 1 tsp of vinegar, let stand for 5 minutes
OR 1 cup non-dairy milk
* 1/2 oil (I used a mixture of coconut and veggie oils)
* ¾ cup maple syrup
* 3 squares of unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, chopped
Cashew Frosting and shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the flax eggs, pumpkin purée, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, oats, and hemp seeds in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
5. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
6. Cook for 45 minutes. If you want a firmer cake, cook longer, until a toothpick in the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes and remove from the pan. Allow it another hour of cooling time.
8. Spread the top with Cashew Frosting, sprinkle with unsweetened coconut, and cut into slices. It can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer inside a ziplock freezer bag. Cashew Frosting:
* 2 cups raw cashews
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* ¼ cup agave nectar
* Dash of nutmeg
* 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon of ginger
* ¼ cup of water (add more as/if needed)
* 7 tablespoons of arrowroot powder
* 6 scoops of powdered stevia extract (6/32 of a teaspoon, I used Now Food’s brand)
1. Process the cashews and water in a food processor.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.