A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Real men need memo boards! (Pic Heavy)  (Read 1212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2011 08:10:47 PM »

So, my dad's birthday was back a couple weeks ago in February. I knew I wouldn't be with him on his birthday, so awful as it is of me, I knew I had some extra time to get his present. Well, he's IMPOSSIBLE to buy for, and anytime I ask him what he wants, he always says, "Something handmade." (I'm sure all you guys hear that a lot, too.) Not only was I completely devoid of ideas, but I was short on time. (I'm going up to see him this weekend.) I was thinking and thinking of something I could make, and then it hit me: A photo/memo board. Because he's always forgetting things.
  Well, I could've bought one, but all the ones in stores are definitely geared towards us of the feminine persuasion, and not at all 'dad like'. So since my hubby is a handyman, he has access to all sorts of tools, and could find anything in Home Depot with his eyes closed, I wanted to do a sort of industrial look. And this is what I came up with...

Hubby drilling some holes in my selected wood... (it's about 1/4" thick).

(He hates it when I take his picture. I snapped this one before he caught me)

Of course, he had to be all, "Let's measure, and make sure they're all symmetrical, and this, that, and the other thing." And me, Mrs. ADD, is just like, "Would you drill the holes already so I can get on with this?" But he took the time to make them perfect, and he's awesome!
So after I got the holes drilled, I took it inside and covered it with black felt, using my trusty E6000. And then I noticed that I was getting a lot of glue on my hand. Upon closer inspection, I found this:

In case you can't see, there's a hole in the side of my tube, there. Back to the ADD: I was squeezing the glue faster than it wanted to come out, because I didn't want to wait on it, resulting in aforementioned blow-out.
I get all that cleaned up, and then get everything assembled, aaaaannnnddd..... here's what we have. Sorry for the crappy lighting. It was dark outside, and I didn't want to wait.

I've got some corkboard on there, suitable for pinning up notes, wire to hold pictures or other paper bits, and four 2" bolts, and a trap door handle to hang things from.

Some close ups:

Hopefully, he'll like it!
Comments and criticisms always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
knuckleheadsmom
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011 09:44:42 PM »

What a great idea!  My dad is in a nursing home and I have been looking for some sort of memo board forever.  You are right that they are all girly!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephanieGravatt
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011 08:12:21 AM »

I think he's going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/BritneyMarie
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/StephanieGravatt

Personal Swap Friendly!!

Swaps!!
OWS- Round 69
SillySlippers
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 05:22:49 PM »

That is a good idea. My Dad has "HIS" garage and could probably use one of these.  They are all women thmesand he would want something he could get dirty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...