A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing for a diabetic?  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
dftkarin
« on: March 02, 2011 05:34:52 PM »

I would like to try to make a cheerful but practical little case to hold the supplies one needs for testing their blood sugar - the monitor, lancet and packet of little strips. I have searched for ideas and found one on a great blog site but she didn't actually sew a case from scratch - she ingeniously added a lovely cloth covering to an existing case. Is anyone aware of others who have attempted this? I wish I could see pictures and read tips for holding the things together (zippers make me nervous so I wonder about a fold-over type set-up with velcro?). I am inspired, but I would feel better able to start if I could compare ideas with others. Any leads would be super-appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amomschoice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011 09:57:34 PM »

Check out Etsy for ideas. Try searching Diabetic or Insulin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meniana
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011 10:21:11 PM »

great ideia, I'm tired of my boring black case =P

I found this one on etsy, too pricey but it's pretty nice

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46106101/custom-diabetic-meter-case?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=diabetes+bag&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

(it's zippered =P)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011 10:24:58 PM by meniana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldeneyez
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011 04:26:07 PM »

My daughter is diabetic and what I did for her was make a little cover for her kit that came with her meter.  What I did was make a slip cover for it, kind of like a wristlet.

I measured the kit and added about an inch for clearance and seam allowance, then doubled that to make a piece that you can fold in half. Her kit is 4x6 so the pieces of material were 4.5x 13. Youll need two of this size.

I also added a fold over with Velcro so everything wouldn't fall out.  Use 2 pieces of material about 2.25"x3.25", right sides together, sew around leaving a hole to turn right side out. Topstitch around the outer edge as close as you can.

You put the material right sides together, add the fold over, if using, to one of the short sides to make what looks like a sandwich.  Sew all the way around leaving about a 2 inch piece to turn it right side out on opposite edge of the fold over, if using. Topstitch to close the hole.

The fold over should be on the right side out now.  Add the Velcro to that and another to the other side so they match.  Fold the material in half, and then sew together matching up the sides.  You should end up with a little gadget bag.

I hope this made sense. If not, I will try again with my word pad and with pictures. Shes been asking for another one.

Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...