A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many garments in a 'wardrobe'... how many colours?  (Read 741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 24, 2011 09:39:09 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy I can almost hear back the answer already... "as many as you want?"

Basically I've set myself a challenge over on my blog to sew myself up a spring/summer maternity wardrobe. As were the countless of crafty women before me, I am increasingly annoyed at the price/lazy design of the maternity clothes I've seen in shops... (etc etc etc blah blah anyhow)

I just thought I'd put this question out there -
how may garments would you class as a 'wardrobe'?
I'm probably not going to do any trousers.... I'm' kinda thinking 4 tops, 2 skirts, 2 day dresses and one really nice 'going out' dress..... Maybe a cardigan... I think I've got a jacket I can get away with using... I'll probably have to do something to some shoes...

also
how many colours would you limit yourself to in a wardrobe
clearly the smaller the colour spectrum the more likely everything is to 'go together' but I don't know... 3 colours? 4?

I'm really interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.
x G
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011 10:04:31 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittlebub
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011 03:01:34 PM »

Both times I was pregnant I wore normal clothing for as long as possible. Baby-doll tops I wore the whole way through & cheap stretchy Tee's. I had 2 pairs of maternity jeans from 6 months & 1 stretchy non-maternity dress that fit the whole way through. I also had 4 maternity singlets which are also breastfeeding singlets. Button up cardi's a great because you can do up just the top couple of buttons.
I wore Blacks, navy blues, any dark colours to hide stains you get from your tummy bumping things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011 01:00:13 PM »

Some years back Australian Stitches (or Stitch?) magazine had an article on sewing a coordinating wardrobe--sewing with a plan, they called it. They recommended starting with eleven garments: 4 bottoms, 6 tops, and a jacket. If all the pieces work together, you can get a lot of outfits from that. Their advice was to pick two basic, probably neutral, solid colors to be the basis of your wardrobe; make any other solid colors coordinate with the two basic colors; and pick a print that has some of the two basic colors in it, so anything made with it will work with both. There was some more specific advice and then a "stage two" where you added to the basic eleven garments. It was all pretty interesting, but the original article doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Anyway, the point was that you can do a lot with not that many garments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
A2JC4life
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011 02:01:36 PM »

Try googling "core wardrobe." You'll find articles like this: http://imageassets.net/2010/07/19/how-to-build-a-core-wardrobe/

I wouldn't get sucked into black, necessarily, either.  Just go with your best neutral color or two, and then start with a fun color you look good in as an accent color.  Then you can always add on with other colors that coordinate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...