A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some of my skating dresses..pic heavy  (Read 9040 times)
Tags for this thread: skating_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sinjah
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011 08:18:13 AM »

Those are gorgeous (and so much prettier and classier than what you usually see on the ice Tongue )! I especially love the first one, and the light blue one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap? Yes please!
Will craft for yarn.

The crafting blog
The pinterest
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011 09:09:02 AM »

Thanks everyone!  All of these dresses are designed and made by just me.  The first green/ivory one was an irish themed format, the second coral/black was "saulsalita" and was airbrused on the edges to achieve the severe aysimetrical look. The last two were made for synchronized skating teams of 15 - 20 skaters per team.  The gradient blue one was also airbrushed lavender on blue lycra mesh to achieve the gradient, with a pleated upper bodice. The baseball theme was made for a synchronized skating team that did indeed skate to the theme from "A league of our own"  The embroidered patch on the front was embroidered by me with their team name to make it look authentic.  I love the final product, but when I'm in the middle of making 20 of the same dresses, all custom fit..I want to pull my hair out!  I'm glad everyone is enjoying them.

You can imagine how much fun I am having now just making camera straps..no boobies, hips, coaches or un-ending piles of scraps!

There's more of my performancewear here if you want to take a peek:
www.howardavenue.biz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 09:18:34 AM by sewingcybermom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
sewingcybermom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011 09:13:27 AM »

Oops...forgot about the light yellow...it is handpainted yellow mesh over lycra with a double georgette skirt.  The first three pics of solo costumes is my daughter, by the way  Smiley

Some of these teams sell their dresses, so it is possible that they are available for sale. If you are interested, I can get the information for you.  There are others on my photo site mentioned above...take a look and I'll let you know where you can inquire about them.  I don't sew for skaters anymore, but my daughter is a coach and can get in touch with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
sewingcybermom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011 09:15:30 AM »

The hemline on the second (pink) dress is cool, I haven't seen one like that before. Nice designs on all of them Smiley
Are they hard to make - are the materials hard to work with?

For most, working with lycra and getting the fit correct is pretty hard.  It's something you just have to want to do, and you have to do tons of it for it to be second nature.  For me, working with woven fabrics is a nightmare.  I am soooooo used to fabrics stretching! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
sewingcybermom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011 09:22:04 AM »

Here's a pic of the hemline that is a bit clearer.  There is a layer of black mesh under the skirt to give it a bit of "swing".  It wasn't easy to get it to lay exactly where we wanted it to on her leg, but I think I succeeded.  All of the cuts and layers had to be sewn together for fit then disassembled for air brushing, then put back together for beading..Whew...glad she is just coaching now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011 10:17:28 AM »

What a phenominal amount of work & sheer skill it takes to do what you do! These are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Calentine
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011 01:16:59 PM »

These are great!  I would LOVE to have a 'real life' adult sized Spitfire Baseball dress!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011 06:37:41 PM »

These are great!  I would LOVE to have a 'real life' adult sized Spitfire Baseball dress!!!!

I know, I would too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dorkgrl26

I'm just me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011 07:12:41 PM »

I have to say they are all rather fabulous! I am a fan of the green one and the coral one!!! The skater in them is just so awesome! I wish I could be her... oh wait it is me!!!! lol! Nice dresses crazy lady!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So don't take anything for granted, stand outside in the rain. An excuse, you know I planned it. Every ending ends all the same...

http://www.wists.com/dorkgrl26
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011 10:51:52 AM »

They are all terribly lovely. If I was svelt I'd totally want to wear them around the house and leap about doing figure skatey stuff while getting eye rolled by my kidlet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...