A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
141 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Winter coat torn, best way to fix?  (Read 4330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Anyuta
« on: January 31, 2011 08:22:50 PM »

Fellow crafsters, I need your help! It's not so much sewing as fixing.
The outer layer of my coat got torn today (that part was 100% polyester, the shiny type)

I'm wondering what would be the best way to fix this?
A patch? sewing? glue? sewing then glue? varnish???

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011 09:25:17 PM »

I would go with a vinyl patch kit made for dashboards and auto upholstery. It can be powdered for a matte finish (if you buy that kind of kit), and you will never see it. And it is flexible and washable.

If you don't care if it shows? Than a flexible caulking in clear (like the bathtub seal/silicone kind). It will show up like a shiney spot, but won't be too noticable.

Stitching on the grain/crossgrain like that will not work with a woven (and especially anything nylon or poly)...think of frayed jeans, or pantyhose... it will keep splitting out at the stitch spots.

Or, you could put patches all over (including the spot you wish to cover), and make the jacket look like it was designed that way, but that is a lot of work.

Or go with a contrast silver thread, and make it look like "Frankenstein" stitch work, to hold the tear in place (stabalize the underside with random "staple" stitches), and then add some extras around the jacket, to fill in a few spots and make that look planned.

Just my first thoughts. It isn't a big rip. I would just vinyl repair it and keep the kit for the next "ding" I gave the jacket.  Grin I live in the woods, and am hard on my clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Anyuta
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011 07:04:40 AM »

Thanks a bunch! I think I'll go for the vynil patch Smiley *Off to find one*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
micdin
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018 09:32:48 PM »

Hello,

I also faced similar type of problem. I'm using faux leather jacket and some days ago, it required pleather repair. Therefore, I researched online many blogs and articles regarding this. Than, many people suggest me fix peeling faux leather jacket. And after this, I solved my problem. You should to try this once, surely you get best solution from this. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...