A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
157 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duo Pocket Changing Pad Clutch with Tutorial link  (Read 17212 times)
Tags for this thread: changing_pad , clutch , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2011 11:43:31 AM »

I recently had a baby shower to attend...the husband of the woman the shower was for has already commisioned me to make a diaper bag for her so that wasn't really an option as a gift.  I was thinking about a diaper/wipes/changing matt clutch but I couldn't find any patterns I was crazy about.  So, started looking through etsy.  There was a listing for an already made clutch that I found and liked really well, but she wasn't interested in selling me the pattern.  So, long story short, I finally just created my own pattern after much thought... and well, time Smiley  

This clutch has 2 pockets (hence the Duo pocket in the name) and opens up into a changing matt.  I used an orange flannel for the inside of the matt and the same fabric she chose for the diaper bag.  It is roughly a foot wide by 24" long.  It is interfaced with fusible fleece for added cushion.  I used velcro for closure.  Frankly, I hate to use velcro on bags, but for this item, it made the most sense.  

Here's what makes this changing pad different from all the rest.  When it is all wrapped up and closed, you can still access the wipes case for all those dirty hands and faces that you need to clean while out and about.  

That was the selling feature for me on the one I found on Etsy.  I really did like that aspect however, the pocket for the wipes case was open on both ends, something I didn't like. So it could fall out in your bag or while carrying it.  (I also didn't have the time to purchase it and have it shipped here for the shower.)

All folded up and ready to travel...

Opened and ready to change a tush!

Special notes...the velcro you see in the previous picture is the soft side so as not scratch baby's skin.  The pockets create a nice pillow for baby's head as well.

In this photo there are 4 diapers in the top pocket, and a travel wipes case in the side pocket.  It is big enough for one of the 40cnt wipes packs as well. Those are what I usually use since those travel cases only hold like 10 wipes or something!

Here is the other end when it is all wrapped up.  The wipes will not fall out!

I wrote up my tutorial with demensions, etc on my blog.

http://www.vibrant-designs.net/2011/01/duo-pocket-changing-pad-tutorial.html

Please, if you try this? Add photos to this thread as I'd love to see if my tutorial is understandable for everyone else!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 05:08:29 PM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011 12:17:20 PM »

Fantastic!  I wish I knew someone who was having a baby so I could make one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011 01:18:21 PM »

How nice!  I bought a changing pad with the pockets for the wipes and diapers but this is much better looking and the best part of your's is being able to access the wipes without opening the changing pad up.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SapphireGypsy
If it's Nerdy, I'll make it.

Don't make me use my wand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011 05:16:56 PM »

This is a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial too. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leigh7911
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011 09:19:34 PM »

Love it! And I just found out tonight that one of my best friends is pregnant, totally making this for her! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brielauren
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011 06:51:52 PM »

oh i must make one for my little niece now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
l_diva
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011 05:33:59 PM »

if i had a baby, i would make one, lol, but i don't lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyBeagleLady
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011 03:19:05 PM »

Genius! I made a changing pad for my nephew but did not think to add the oh-so-convenient pockets! What a great addition!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011 03:56:08 PM »

You are my hero!! Gonna add this to the diaperbag my SIL asked me to make...only question, how big should that wipes pocket be....no kidlets at my house currently Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011 03:59:10 PM »

Did you read the tutorial?  I don't remember off the top of my head how big the pocket is.  Meaning, did I not answer your question in my tute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...