A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,624
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Presenting.... The wrinkle-iest quilt in the history of quilting! (Long Post)  (Read 4437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011 07:00:27 AM »

Okay, so, this is kind of a long story, but here goes....
  I made my daughter a quilt (post: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353189.0 )
  Once that was done, I made the hubbs a quilt (post: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354186.0 )
  And then I wanted to make a quilt for myself. And I thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if my quilt matched my daughter's?" Well, I thought it would be neat, anyway. I had some leftovers from her quilt, but not enough to make a quilt for me, because there's more of me to cover than her. So, I went back to Wal-Mart (where I got all the material for her quilt), and wouldn't you know? They only had about half of the patterns that I used for hers. So, mine gets a little repetitive in one corner. Oh well. Now, I had pieced the top together, and then I went to pin the top to the batting and the backing. And for some reason, it wouldn't come out square. I would pin all the way around, and when I got back to where I started, there would be like, a fold. So I had to start over again. Like four times. Ugh. So I finally get that taken care of, and I start quilting. I get about three lines done (starting in the middle), and then I talk to my best friend (shortly before Christmas), and she was bummed out, so I decided to make her a quilt for Christmas, putting mine on hold. Post: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=367999.0
   So after Christmas, I went back to my quilt. My biggest problem with quilting is that I always get "folds" on the back, where my backing kind of bunches up and folds over. And this quilt was no exception. I tried to fix them, but after I re-sewed one line four times, I gave up, and let the folds happen. I started in the middle, and worked out, so I don't know why I have such a problem with this. Now, as I said before, when I did my pinning, my top didn't come out square, so maybe that's why I had such a problem with this one. But this one had folds on the back, and a couple places on the top, and some around the edges where I had some excess fabric, and just sewed the binding to it. I said 'to heck with it' I was just tired of looking at the stupid thing. So, on to the pictures....
Here's the top (if I had to guess at size, I would say about twin size)

And somewhere, under that blanket in the upper right hand corner is my hubby. He doesn't like to have his picture taken.

And here's a close-up shot

And the back

You can see a couple of the folds in this shot. But these are by far, not the worst ones. But like I said, I just got tired of working on this. I was originally going to quilt diagonal lines going to opposite direction, to make a criss-cross pattern, but I knew since I had so many folds in the one direction, I would end up with even more folds if I quilted more lines. So I didn't. And another side note: Now that I've finally got my quilt finished, my daughter has outgrown her quilt, that mine was supposed to match. So, I'm going to make her a quilt with leftovers from my best friend's polka dots quilt. *sigh*.
  Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011 09:18:38 AM »

Ooh, I love it! When I looked at it I didn't notice any wrinkles or folds at all, I think it looks fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
amalgam
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011 10:14:09 AM »

I think your quilt looks pretty amazing, as do all the quilts that you've posted on here. Plus, kudos to you for sewing all those diagonal lines. Do you have a long-arm machine or do you just do it with a home sewing machine and an extension table? I've done full and lap size quilts on my sewing machine, with no extension table, and it is a pain. Tongue Nevertheless, great job and I'm glad to see you got to make a quilt for yourself. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011 10:24:13 AM »

I hear ya on the wrinkles! I had the same problem on my first quilt. Sad Some tips I learned though:

a) you can never have enough basting PINS (all the books/articles/websites I read say when you lay your palm down on the quilt, you want to be touching at least 4-5 of them, they are that close together). Still make sure they're not so close that you can't do your quilting lines but more is good.
b) a walking foot/dual-feed foot is a godsend. <3333 *angels singing down from the heavens as a light shines down on the magnificent piece of metal* The first time I quilted my brother's quilt it had a HUGE, very noticeable fold in the back. It was awful. This was partly due to the lack of pins (when I first quilted the 10" squares I had 4 pins in each block, second time, I had Cool and the difference in between using my regular old foot versus the amazing walking foot. It's pricey but sooo worth it (and I *hate* paying lots of money for supplies, lol).
c) I found a tutorial online about basting and pinning the backing to the carpet. I took some pics of me following that tutorial in my last quilt project here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=366303.0 and I could see a noticeable difference in how the backing looked when I rolled the fabric up to be carried to the machine and quilted. It's flat and perfect and not a wrinkle in sight.

I still had a couple of very small folds but they really aren't at all glaringly obvious like they were before. I HTH. Smiley

Your quilt is gorgeous still though! And you have a really good eye for taking patterns and colors together that I know I'd never even think would look good together but have them work out perfectly! Smiley Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coralia
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011 11:04:40 AM »

Great, great job using scraps and it looks cohesive - scrappy but it all melds together. Smiley

As far as the backing - it happens, but it's in your home, used and loved by you. that's more important. I'm far more impressed that all your quilting lines are straight and evenly spaced (something I can't seem to do!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovjonz
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011 12:12:41 PM »

All of your quilts are beautiful, I've been doing quilts for years and every quilt I've made has folds on the back but yours are much less noticeable than mine. When I was waiting on the link to your husband's quilt to load I was thinking what I would put in my husband's quilt and the first thought was "fish!", and I see your's has fish. They are all fabulous, your daughter's is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011 02:18:17 PM »

Wow.  A beautiful quilt.  Wrinkles schminkles. It looks great and will keep you warm.  We are always our own worst critic aren't we. Well done I say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011 04:18:14 PM »

Thank you everyone for the support! amalgam , all I have is my regular old sewing machine. I wish I had the room (and money) for a long arm machine. But no, it's just my sewing machine. I do my sewing on an old office desk (like from the 50's or 60's), and it's got a little fold-out telephone drawer, if you will, and that's what I use to pile some up the quilt on. It's not perfect, but it works.
  And I do have a walking foot on my machine. I got one of those before I ever started quilting, because the quilting book I was reading said I needed one, and my best friend had already tried to quilt with no walking foot, and had trouble. So I'm just going to keep trying, and hopefully one day I'll get it right.
  Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011 07:12:42 AM »

I agree with the "wrinkles schminkles" sentiment.  I think this is beautiful!  I love love the diagonal pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
nevinjp
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011 08:01:14 PM »

If anyone asks about the wrinkles you can tell them you were going for a Shar-Pei look. Very pedigree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...