A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,831
Currently Running With Scissors:
180 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fitting muslin: Built by Wendy shift dress  (Read 1560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

fishinabowl
« on: January 19, 2011 03:44:20 PM »

I am currently testing out the shift dress pattern, in the Built by Wendy dresses book.
I am having a little trouble with fitting my muslin.

I originally cut the x-small because based on the measurements in the book and comparing the flat pattern piece,my bust measurement, 31" fell under the 32-33 bust measurement in the book.

When I tired on the muslin, there is wrinkling in back, on the shoulder blade. The wrinkles look like they are pointing to the armhole. I used a sloped shoulder alteration. It brought up the dart to my bust apex , but there is still a bit of wrinkling and the shoulder seams are too short.

Should I have used a different technique in order to remove the wrinkling in the shoulder?

Should I cut the size up and then alter the fit? I also had to alter the flare along the hip because it was too tight.

Thank you for your help. I really want this pattern to work out because I think it is fantastic basic to have in my small collection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sushi chef meets a kung fu fighter.. it was a violent cook off.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011 04:45:36 PM »

there are lots of fitting tips and advice at patternreview.com  can't help myself, sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baileemartini
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011 02:49:03 PM »

can you post pics of the muslin on you, so we can see exactly where the fit is off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011 06:21:15 PM »

I'm with baileemartini, it's hard to picture.

I know I need a dart that goes from the shoulder line down to the apex of my shoulder blade (I'm a bit rounded back there apparently, but I swear I don't have a hump!).  Shapes the back quite nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...