A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
216 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Original Silhouette operation.  (Read 836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

measure-once-cut-twice
« on: January 13, 2011 10:03:57 AM »

Hello Smiley,

I purchased a
    used Original Silhouette off Amazon.com last week. I have now had the machine for 4 days, but I have not yet been able to get it to work properly. The seller had more than one machine; he was very thorough in testing it and being sure that all parts were included. I am relatively confident that the problem is not in the machine, but in my assembly of the parts. I have not contacted the seller for aide yet.

I am hoping some one here has used this machine and will be able to tell me if I have done something wrong. Grin

Here are some possible complications in the machines functioning:
    • the machine did not come with a mat, so I am using a thin circuit mat cut to size
    • I am trying to cut an 80# sheet of card stock
    • The blade PROBABLY needs replaced. None are available locally. So, I am attempting to cut with the old blade.

I followed the instructions in the "Quick Start Guide" and everything went smoothly until it the actual cutting part. It ACTED like it was cutting (making that TERRIBLE you're-breaking-the-machine noise that is so common) and seem to be cutting, but when I removed the paper there was NOT EVEN A SCRATCH on the paper.

I reinstalled the software and the drivers. I checked to be sure I had the correct colored cap on the blade. Still no improvement when I try to cut. I was a bit confused about the instructions regarding which direction the blade should face, but I have even rotated the blade a few times and it didn't seem to help. I have not upgraded the software to the newest version of RoboCraft, but I assume the machine should work with the ORIGINAL program.

I searched the internet and found that the Silhouette is wrought with frustrated operators, but no one seemed to have experienced MY particular problem. I thought of emailing the company but they are apparently not very good at responding.

ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER WOULD BE GREAT! I REALLY WANT TO TRY OUT MY NEW MACHINE!!!!! Wink

THANKS in advance.
    Sarah[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2011 10:05:36 AM by measure-once-cut-twice » THIS ROCKS   Logged
    lylacfey
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011 05:51:02 AM »

I have a Silhouette but one of the newer models. I did have an old Wishblade so I might be of help.

I wouldn't use a Cricut mat to cut with the Silhouette. Buy quilting template or the thin plastic chopping boards that you can get at Dollar Tree 2 for 1. I have used a Cricut mat in my old Wishblade for a quick project. It does cause problems in the long run. It's a little too thick for the older machines. I didn't like the way my blade dragged when it was cutting.

80# cardstock is pretty heavy for the original Silhouette. The newer version can cut that weight. The older version can only cut around 70# unless your doing a multicut.

Don't cut with the old blade. It will whack out your machine. I know the blades are expensive. With good care they last over two years.

Give the blade a good quarter turn and try cutting again. If that does not work turn it the other way.

The original Silhouette does work with the old Robo software. That's not the problem. Silhouette Studio is a huge improvement. A lot of Silhouette owners, including me, cut from Inkscape. I think we can rule out the software, I hope.

Try calling Silhouette. They have really great customer support. I am not affiliated or anything. I have to call them on a couple of occasions and they bent over backwards to help.

The reason you might not be getting answers to your e-mails because CHA is this week. Silhouette is doing a big booth this year. It's a small company and most of the employees are at CHA.

Join the Wishblade Yahoo group. That has the best help for the older Robo Machines. Join the Silhouette Yahoo group too.

I hope your machine is not faulty. I am hoping it's just a bad blade and a wrong setting.

Oh, Peek over at UKScrapper's CraftRobo forum too. The top Silhouette experts are over there.

I hope I helped a little.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/faerydreams/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
    April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
    Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
    Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...