A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why Kunzite hates sepia (lots of pictures)  (Read 2788 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet_challenge_11  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 07, 2011 09:51:16 AM »

This is my entry for the crochet contest: I present Kunzite, one of the Dark Kingdom's Shitennou, magnificient bastard and the hottest guy in Japan.

Finally it's done! Kunzite didn't want to be portrayed in sepia colors and I swear, he fought me every step on the way!
It's a project bag in sturdy cotton, lined with fleece, big enough to hold a newspaper and a skein of yarn. It closes by pulling the two antlers in the middle through the granny squares in the back.

This is the back side, where I used up some grannys which I made as color samples. These are the colors that I used for the portrait, four shades of beige/brown, and black.

These were the colors I ended up with after several days of color sampling and mixing strands, and while they looked like they would blend into each other nicely in the samples, they didn't exactly do that in the portrait. Kunzite says the evil nature of the Dark Kingdom doesn't really call for a sepia based color palette, and I quickly thought the same once I was half way through the picture. Also, all the time while I was crocheting, I swore I'd soak the finished bag in coffee to mellow out the contrast. I somewhat calmed down when the finished pic was at least recognizable, but I still consider dyeing it over. Wouldn't work with the darker shades who blended into each other so well that it was not actually helping, but hm...

Little back story: I discovered the live action series Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon about a year ago. I instantly loved it, even more when watching it helped me through a bad time. I adore the whole cast, but especially the actor Akira Kubodera who played one of Sailor Moon's most badass enemies. He's so hot! Kunzite and his fellow Shitennou have been a major inspiration for me all last year, and I've been crafting a lot of Sailor Moon stuff, but I feel like I only just started.

So when the contest came up, I knew I'd want to make something that I had wanted to do for a long time, and in case of crocheting something fotorealistic, never have done before, although I've been drooling over the great pixel and portrait afghans in the crochet board for a while.
So I pixelled myself senseless with Kunzite stills over the holidays. I considered doing a sprite, but somehow I went straight into portraits, and so I quickly decided this would be what I'd do for the contest. I'm so glad I did, I wouldn't have been able to overcome all the frustrating stages of this project without the smile that Kunzite always puts on my face.

This is the snapshot I used.

Actually, having half of Nephrite's shoulder in it isn't ideal, but this is one of my most favourite pictures of Kunzite, although the thoughtful expression is somewhat untypical (imagine a smirk instead and you're much closer). After making it into a contrasted black and white pic, I used knitpro to get a graph (not certain if I'd recommend that step - the graph was difficult to work with for a lack of color references, and it contains a lot more shades than I had assumed, which forced some unpleasant decisions onto me - one of the many learning processes in this project):

A close-up of the bag:

I enjoyed the actual crocheting, but ahem, let's not look too close at my actual stitches Grin I've done tunesian crochet before (although nothing this big or complex), liked it, and had some good ideas about keeping the yarn from tangling, but next time, I will pay more attention to the tension of the yarn.
Kunzite agrees with me, because he always wrinkles his nose at this point Grin He's lucky his style is so iconic that he's always recognizable Grin

And a progress pic, with the hook I used: a simple 3,5 hook with a rubber band at the end (necessary because I really had to cram the stitches onto the hook)

Glad I did this! It made me want to make more portraits of this kind (although probably with more than five shades, and more details). Thanks for still reading along. Hope you like the bag, and if you do, please vote for it!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011 02:35:45 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieNation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011 08:44:51 PM »

Wow!  I'm impressed!   Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011 06:38:54 AM »

yowza!  that's intense! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!

Keep c-ster going
facebook
psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011 05:45:48 PM »

Holy crap! That's insane. I didn't even know you could do such a thing. Looks very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So sad to see Craftster go!

Check me out at:
@jessicapeter1 (Twitter and Instagram)
http://pinterest.com/psyche13
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011 02:38:02 AM »

Thanks! I wasn't all certain it could be done so small and with only five shades, and while I was halfway through, it didn't look it could. I'm still surprised it turned out like this Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gramma Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 07:09:25 AM »

A masterpiece!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 10:49:17 AM »

Wow, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...