A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
282 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thumbless Mittens for a Baby  (Read 3541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2010 03:30:15 PM »

Ok.  So, it got cold here, which it rarely does and which is part of the reason why I love North Carolina so much.  Anyway, Sprout had cold hands and what better way for a knitter to remedy it than by knitting thumbless mittens?

These little thumbless mittens turned out to be the perfect knitting project for Sprout's long nap.   Not only were they a quick knit, they also used up hardly any wool.  In fact, I found this little remnant on the top shelf of my yarn and probably still have enough to make another pair.

The normal obligatory action shots are missing because, once Sprout woke up, I stuck them on his hands and immediately began to giggle.  They make him look like Edward Scissorhands.  So, in an attempt to spare my son the embarassment of forever putting on the internet things that could possibly embarass him later, you'll just have to catch us around town on a cold day to see Edward Scissorhands Sprout in live action.  Needless to say, they're wool and warm and that's all that should matter.

I had planned on following the pattern for the thumbless mittens from the book Knitting for Baby (thanks, Val!) and I did, more or less, but there are several things that annoyed me about the pattern and several things I changed.

First, the instructions wanted me to place a stitch marker between the last two stitches to mark the end of a row.  I hate stupid instructions like this because they make me question if I've always just done things wrong.  Who in their right minds puts markers to mark the END of a row???  Am I the only crazy one?  No?  I quickly scanned through the pattern to make sure I wouldn't be damning myself by marking the beginning of the round, found no logical reason for their illogical instructions, so I shrugged and carried on.  (NB - This also irks me because this book is meant to be an easy book with patterns of increasing difficulty for newer knitters.  What if this was the first circular pattern I had knitted?)

Anyway, the second thing that I changed was the cuff of the mittens.  Anyone with a baby knows that extremity accessories don't stay on very long.  Shoes are a waste of money and socks without elastic made of cryptonite come off as quickly as you can get them on.  I imagine it's the same thing for mittens.  The pattern instructs you to basically make three garter ridges which will leave you with no stretch and no form, though later, it has you go through an extra step of sewing in elastic.  Sigh.

I'm not a sewer and I'm certainly not going to fiddle with elastic so I just made a ribbed cuff and continued on my way.  If I were to do it over again, I'd probably suggest going down a needle size.  I didn't because I was concerned that Sprout's chubby wrists wouldn't fit if I made them too snug.

And, in my last stream of complaints about the pattern, the mittens, as written, are unnecessarily pointy.  Babies are funny looking enough (and I say this with the warmest of hearts!) that I don't think having pointy hands is really worth the extra two rounds of stitches.  I cast off a couple of rounds early so my child wouldn't end up with pointy hands that could be used as weapons.  Just call me crazy.

All complaints aside, though, I'm thankful Sprout can now have warm hands.  Oh, and if you're paying attention, yes, this knocks off one of my "50 projects" for 2011."  Shh!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010 03:30:35 PM by lapoli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010 04:16:15 PM »

your rambling about the pattern made me laugh!  This is why i don't follow patterns and just make it up as I go Smiley

They are super cute mittens though!  I bet he doesn't look all that goofy with them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010 04:54:39 PM »

Those are cute! I lo'd at the Edward Scissorhands comment  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 07:28:47 AM »

Very cute and a great way to use up scraps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...