A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 242
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 DeStash-Along-CLOSED  (Read 290968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1400 on: May 17, 2011 06:49:47 AM »

I went ahead an bought a jelly roll a while back (it was from stitch steals, so it was 70% off, how could I not Roll Eyes ) and now I want to make a pretty string quilt out of it!  need to get some coordinating plain fabric for it though ... d'oh!! sigh...  Thanks for sharing your scrappy sue, it's gorgeous!

LOVE the scrap monsters CLM!  I bet if I try to make some they wont look nearly as neato... but I have enough stuff to give it a go! 

Okay.  2 more things to complete before I can get into major stash busting.   One is nearly there, and the other isn't quite started (fabrics cut, patterns transfered, for stitching, but that's the easy part!)

I suppose I have busted some roving stash recently... though I'm not sure if it counts as it just transfers to my yarn stash.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1401 on: May 17, 2011 07:14:13 AM »

The tissue cozies sell for $3-$4 at our craft fairs.  People around here are pretty cheap... Cheesy

I would count the scraplings and shredlocks more like artsy dolls...I always check etsy to see what anything comparable might sell for...and then add a few dollars because you know your own stuff is better! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 17, 2011 07:58:16 AM »

Just a thought, but have you concidered appliqueing your monsters on a baby blanket?
I reckon that would look awesome! Grin
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Brackish Potato
« Reply #1403 on: May 17, 2011 08:51:44 AM »

My daughter thinks those scraplings are pretty cool! I think $25-30 is a good price for them. As nice as those etsy dolls are, I can't imagine spending $80 on a plushie. But then I've always been a cheapskate. Grin
Scrappy Sue, what a lovely quilt top! I love your color choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1404 on: May 17, 2011 08:55:26 AM »

oh wow!  That is awesome, CLM!  I hate it when people price things too low, so I try not to go to those type of flea markets! I never thought about looking up tissue things on Etsy since I make them all the time just to use up scraps!  Maybe I will make a bunch for future craft shows (there is a huge one in September!)...

I think you will know if the price is too high when people do not buy...let them offer but don't let them set the price for your hard work!  I hope you sell them all! Cheesy

Sweater monsters!  Such creative people...but I would never pay that much either...but, they are artsy dolls, really, so maybe I would...we need to value creativity more...artists and musicians always get paid next to nothing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #1405 on: May 17, 2011 09:31:27 AM »

There is no way I would pay $75 for a stuffie.  I would be terrified to let my children play with it.  I agree that $25-30 is totally reasonable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #1406 on: May 17, 2011 09:48:04 AM »

As promised, here are my newest button cuff bracelets!  Rainbow galore!!

The ombre floss REALLY makes the piece, even more than the buttons, I think!  Love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #1407 on: May 17, 2011 10:11:08 AM »

Awesome!  Love those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1408 on: May 17, 2011 10:18:03 AM »

love them--are they heavy with all those buttons?  The embroider does make them special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: May 17, 2011 10:23:44 AM »

My dear CLM, hogwash.  Wink

Please don't let the professional looking photography or slick etsy page make you feel like your monsters are any thing less. Upcycled? So, they take scraps and make things. Isn't that exactly what you are doing? Yes it is. Use that in your selling point.

Who would pay for those? Lots of people honestly. Don't down sell your things, lower prices make people think of lower quality, no time and who cares if the object is destroyed? You can just pick up another at the local discount store.

LOL! I looked on ETSY and tissue cosies are going for no less than $7 for very basic ones (simpler than mine) to $15! Now who would pay that much for such a teensy scrap of fabric? I think I'll try setting them at $6 and also offer 3 for $15. If it doesn't work out I can always drop the price.
If anyone finds anything like the scraplings online please link me up, I just have no idea what to charge for such a thing. My focus was mostly on using up scrap so I wouldn't have to throw it away, I paid more attention on incorporating as much of that as possible and hardly any in how long each one took or how much effort when into them. It's hard too when you're making mass amounts of stuff to judge each individual item in terms of skill and effort, all I know is that I've been working like a dog for days and days and I'm exhausted!

ETA I found this work (which I love, they're super cute!) but these two items are much bigger and made of felted upcycled sweaters. I couldn't charge this much for my stuff, I don't think it would sell in this area. I'm thinking $25-$30 might be the max I can ask.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/72410220/calliope-the-monster-upcycled-plush?ref=v1_other_2
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72406963/mikey-the-upcycled-plush-monster

I have some sweaters set aside for just this sort of thing but probably won't have time before I go away next month. I wish now I'd gotten it together to start crafting earlier but I didn't, oh well. I can do some more work in July.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 242 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...