A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
275 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Circular Needle Advice, Please  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
~~steph~~
« on: May 25, 2005 07:31:47 PM »

I have become addicted to knitting, I have to say. I have made three "somethings" (so named because I haven't a clue what I made, just squares that will be Something in the future, LOL.) and I just can't help but think of all the possibilities!
I ~so~ want to make a purse similar to the Felted Marsupial Purse I have seen people making, and when I asked my mom (a knitting maniac, although mainly does traditional things...) she said that a purse may be easier for me than a hat because I don't know any other stitches besides knit. I tried to teach myself to purl, but since I didn't have instructions it went sorta like this: "Maybe you do <this>... hmm no - I'll try this. Nopers...." Tongue So my question is ~~ will using circular needles make your project come out circular? And, can someone point me towards a tutorial on how to knit a purse/tote (for beginners, so has to be super-easy y'all!) without a lot of fancy stitchin' in it? (Even a tute on how to knit with circulars would be groovy, if there is one...)

Thanks in Advance for any advice - I am already online drooling over beautiful yarns - hopefully soon I'll have the skills I need to make a pretty tote out of some of them!

Smiley
Steph

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilacbutterfly
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 07:56:35 PM »

This was the first purse I made, and it is very easy.  You will learn new techniques doing it, but it's not that hard.  I have read from many people that this is one of their first projects and they loved it.  It is felted, and you need wool.

http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.pdf

Try this site for help with knitting.  It is awesome.  I have been knitting for several years and go here often when I'm not sure of something.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acesulfamek
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 08:12:11 PM »

circular needles do, indeed, allow you to just knit all the way around.  you will cast on, then, instead of turning your work over like you would with straights, you will join the last stitch you cast on to the first making a circle.  then you can just keep on knitting for as long as you like.  when working in the round, this will create stockinette stitch (or, "normal looking knitting" that would typically be achived by knitting a row, then purling a row and so on - v's on one side, bumps on the inside)

a felted bag would be a fine project for a new knitter.  it can be a little more complex, or as simple as just knitting a tube (circular) or two squares (flat).  it's up to you.  if you are knitting in the round you will probably want a minimum of 24" cord length.  alternately, for a hat (which is also dead easy when one is working in the round) you will want a 16".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~steph~~
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005 08:26:44 PM »

Thank you both so much - I've made out my shopping list (thanks to the circ needle tips) and am checking out that pattern now - I think it would be pretty with a longer handle too, so I might have to try that. Maybe when my mom comes she can walk me thru part of it, so I know I am doing it right.

Thank you both again - hopefully I'll have it started soon, wish me luck! Smiley

Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...