A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attempted pony, dog, chooks for Christmas gifts  (Read 1308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2010 07:13:38 PM »

Pony for a pony-loving daughter:

I had a photocopied page from a vintage pattern book and there's a lot I don't know about sewing toys... evidently.  I had a lot of trouble from the start because instead of choosing a woven fabric I wanted to use some black, slightly stretchy velvet - which proceeded to warp and slither as I sewed.  Consequently this pony has the worst hip displacia ever - but it does stand up, because a pony that can't stand would be lame... give it a minute...

The vintage pattern just had button eyes, but I figured it wouldn't be hard to use toy eyeballs and make some fabric eyelids and thankfully this is the only part of the project that didn't have me grinding my teeth.  If you are wondering how I got this legendary curly hair effect... I simply forgot to buy the yarn that the pattern required for mane and tail and in desperation I unravelled a piece of practice crochet I'd done months ago... curly hair!

Next up, a dog, wisely executed in a sturdy woven fabric (my son had once told me he like this remnant when he was searching through my stash - and the dog was for him):

On the side you can't see is a little bell I attached to the neckchain - very cute.  I got the free pattern for this at http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/05/softie_scotty_d.html

Finally, I saw this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/swirlyarts/4387202672/in/photostream/) on Flickr and got inspired to make a mini-flock for a friend who keeps chooks (and often gives me eggs).

I thought they could actually double as a juggling kit and might attempt something along those lines in the future.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
kaleidoscope_eyes
dimestore diamond -shines just like the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010 07:53:45 PM »

I love the pony! -and all the little things you added to the pattern -the eyes and the curly hair are my favorite parts. I'm sure the gifts will be well loved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YoshiIsBeast

I love yoshi <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010 08:15:56 PM »

awww!! the pony is so adorable. I love that the main and tail are curly, that makes it even cuter.
and I really love the chickens ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adorenaments
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010 01:17:37 AM »

The dog's shape reminds me of Barkbark from Viva Pinata. So cute.
http://pinataisland.info/viva/Barkbark
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...