A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snaps, Buttons, Fleece, Fabric = warm necks  (Read 2286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
saranethx
« on: December 25, 2010 11:17:04 PM »

Due to tight finances this Christmas, I set out to craft something for my family and friends that would not require me to buy any fabric. After going through my collection, I came across fabric I had bought two years ago with the intention of making scarves. The fabric was beautiful but I had misjudged the amount I needed and the length of the fabric was just shy of being long enough for a scarf. I had forgotten that I had it. Inspired by knitted/crocheted neck warmers, I decided that I would create my own sewn version, thus avoiding the dilemma of not enough fabric.

It ended up being super easy. I debated on creating actual button holes but decided against it ( button holes make me nervous) Instead, I sewed on small snaps and then put a button on the outside. I ended up making nine neck warmers total but only have pictures of six

This is fabric that inspired me. I also made two others like this except I lined the black and pink fabric with black fleece.

The one on the right is for my father. The button I used was from his mother's ( my granma's) sewing box.

The green corduroy also has one of my granma's buttons.

Not pictured is the green velvet neck warmer I made my mother. It is lined with black fleece.  The fabric is quite old. She used it to make a stocking for her mother and the button I used was from my great-grammie's button box. It's probably my favorite one and looks the most elegant.

Here is another photo of me modeling my dad's neck warmer. Please excuse the un-enthused expression and the messy hair.  I just wanted to make sure I took photos before I distributed the gifts.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010 04:03:08 AM »

I love this, I am heading to London today for a few days and the weather has been cold, but I like to pack light..I think I will run up one of these instead of bringing a bulky scarf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010 07:07:31 AM »

This is a FAB Idea !!! And I am completely with you on the button hole thing ! I avoid them whenever possible. Your idea of the button on top with the snap underneath is genius. Your Grammie would be very proud of your ingenuity, thriftiness and sentiment I'm sure Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010 07:50:33 AM »

Love these! They look fantastic and also very cozy. Great gift idea and also great way to use up fabric stash. I'm definitely adding this to my "to-do" list.

I bet your family really appreciated these thoughtful presents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycakelady
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010 09:03:31 AM »

These are great!  What a wonderful use of your creativity during a frugal time.  Smiley   I am curious as to what dimensions you decided on? 
I'm sure your family loved them! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
saranethx
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010 09:15:35 PM »

Thank you for all the nice comments. Smiley Everyone was pleased with their gifts.

I am curious as to what dimensions you decided on? 
I'm sure your family loved them! 

CraftyCakeLady- I was lazy and mostly eyeballed the fabric, but the finished dimensions of most of the scarves were 26 inches in length and 7 inches wide. The red and green were slightly narrower due to less lining fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010 07:15:26 AM »

They all turned out lovely!

What a great way to use up some nice but smaller pieces of fabric!  You could really dress up your winter wardrobe with a few of these!  They seem light enough to wear in a chilly office as well!

Thanks for posting your frugal and practical yet good looking scarves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...