A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,841
Currently Running With Scissors:
277 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Royalty free vintage photos?  (Read 4220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005 04:05:06 PM »

I know there are many threads on craftster about royalty free images, but I'm looking for vintage/antique images, like...

(Not sure where I got this one, so don't consider it royalty free)

Any idea where I can get royalty free images like this?

Maybe because of the age, it won't matter? Or can I get personal and old photos from flea markets/antique malls and use those?

Sorry if this question is redundant, and thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005 04:07:32 PM by Tappanga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 05:24:52 PM »

isn't there a rule that if its more than 100 years old you can use it w/o infringing on copyright laws?  also, photos like that are probably personal property-- would it matter?id think you could just use what you find at the flea market w/o worrying about infringment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 08:55:45 AM »

isn't there a rule that if its more than 100 years old you can use it w/o infringing on copyright laws? also, photos like that are probably personal property-- would it matter?id think you could just use what you find at the flea market w/o worrying about infringment.

Thanks! I was thinking the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robyn Lisa
Avid Reader

Jewrific

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005 06:25:52 PM »

antique stores have the best old pictures/postcards! I'd try there, or estate sales. any personal pictures dont have copywrights on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lippybalm
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005 07:47:29 AM »

Personal Photos DO have copyright on them. You cannot use a person's image without their permission.

although it is highly unlikely that you will be sued for using a photo found at a flea market, it is possible.
if some relative of a person in an image you used can prove that they are related to that persona and are in charge of that person's estate, they can issue a cease and desist letter to you.

although it is highly unlikely that you will be sued, i would just be wary of using any photos you find that have people's faces in them. shots that have obscured faces in them are fine, due to the fact that it is much more difficult to prove ownership.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.baglunchco.com....tasty lip balm!
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005 12:30:51 PM »

Personal Photos DO have copyright on them. You cannot use a person's image without their permission.

although it is highly unlikely that you will be sued for using a photo found at a flea market, it is possible.
if some relative of a person in an image you used can prove that they are related to that persona and are in charge of that person's estate, they can issue a cease and desist letter to you.

although it is highly unlikely that you will be sued, i would just be wary of using any photos you find that have people's faces in them. shots that have obscured faces in them are fine, due to the fact that it is much more difficult to prove ownership.

Well crap. Blurred faces won't help me. Thanks anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jordanapaige
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005 12:55:53 PM »

Try istockphoto.com.  Their photos cost about a buck. Be sure to check the licensing terms because depending on how you're using the photos, there may be some restrictions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005 02:36:21 PM »

I don't know if you're looking for total period photos (with clothes and whatnot), but you can actually use digital photo workshops to add a brownish tone to the pictures, thus making it look vintage.  I use Kodak EasyShare (no photoshop for me, not smart enough)...  I can turn the picture black and white, and then add a sepia tone.  It makes the pictures look old, even though I could have taken it 10 minutes prior. 

Then, use a photo printer, and voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005 05:25:02 PM »

Here is a site it and says right on the top: These are for you to use in your artwork and not for commercial reproduction in collage sheets etc. Most of these images are contributed by art-e-zine visitors and a big thank you to them. Hope these pics are something of what you wanted, its the only site I know about http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/vintageresources.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005 12:58:08 PM »

Try istockphoto.com. Their photos cost about a buck. Be sure to check the licensing terms because depending on how you're using the photos, there may be some restrictions.

Hmmm. I don't think istock can help me (mainly because of its lack of vintage photos), but I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

I don't know if you're looking for total period photos (with clothes and whatnot), but you can actually use digital photo workshops to add a brownish tone to the pictures, thus making it look vintage. I use Kodak EasyShare (no photoshop for me, not smart enough)... I can turn the picture black and white, and then add a sepia tone. It makes the pictures look old, even though I could have taken it 10 minutes prior.

Then, use a photo printer, and voila!

No, I don't know anything about photography and don't know enough people willing to model. So that's pretty much out. Thanks, tho!

Here is a site it and says right on the top: These are for you to use in your artwork and not for commercial reproduction in collage sheets etc. Most of these images are contributed by art-e-zine visitors and a big thank you to them. Hope these pics are something of what you wanted, its the only site I know about http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/vintageresources.html

Holy crap, every photo I have is on that site. That's perfect! Thanks!

(And from their "completed artwork" pages I can see the things I want to do seem to be allowed. Thanks so much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...