A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with rough, itchy yarn?  (Read 8622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Sempster Eadem
« on: December 14, 2010 01:53:06 PM »

Hi, first-time poster here.

Last year, I bought a bunch of yarn for an art project that didn't work out. I've been able to use most of the yarn for other things, but there's one ball that's giving me trouble. I've used some to practice cables, but I'd like to make something useful or decorative with it. Unfortunately, it's the kind of wool that gives wool a bad name - rough and itchy! I have no idea what to do with it. A bag? Some sort of experimental objet d'art? Does anyone have any ideas for wool you wouldn't want to wear?
If it helps, the yarn is white, somewhere between worsted and bulky weight, and has a bit of a halo. I have a little less than 100 grams left.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010 09:04:22 PM »

Mostly people use itchy wool to make felted bags or slippers. You can see if soaking it in water with hair conditioner added will soften it, sometimes that works.

And if by 'wool' you mean yarn and it's acrylic, then washing and drying in the dryer softens it up a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010 10:17:09 AM »

Hi, first-time poster here.

Last year, I bought a bunch of yarn for an art project that didn't work out. I've been able to use most of the yarn for other things, but there's one ball that's giving me trouble. I've used some to practice cables, but I'd like to make something useful or decorative with it. Unfortunately, it's the kind of wool that gives wool a bad name - rough and itchy! I have no idea what to do with it. A bag? Some sort of experimental objet d'art? Does anyone have any ideas for wool you wouldn't want to wear?
If it helps, the yarn is white, somewhere between worsted and bulky weight, and has a bit of a halo. I have a little less than 100 grams left.

Thanks!

Congrats on your first post! Don't hesitate to ask questions here, we're all available to help each other out!

I agree with soozeq: try washing/soaking and blocking, as a lot of wool softens up quite a bit that way. When I was first learning to knit I used my swathes as coasters for my houseplants (to protect the wood from scratching/accidental water spillage).  You could also try cup and mug cozies.  You could try knitting an accessory that doesn't touch skin, like a belt, or anklewarmers (shorter than legwarmers).  Or even an holiday ornament? Make little snowflakes and some icord and string them up in your house?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckypennymake
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010 01:48:24 PM »

definitely use in felted projects!  cheap wool is great for those!
-barbara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and Crafting Momma to two very sweet kiddos born at home on February 19, 2007 and September 27, 2009.
Sempster Eadem
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010 07:21:56 PM »

And if by 'wool' you mean yarn and it's acrylic, then washing and drying in the dryer softens it up a lot

By "wool" I mean wool. I hadn't thought of felting - I've never tried it before, but this might be a good yarn for a first project. Now I'm getting ideas for a wintry felted bag. Thank you all for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010 07:27:01 AM »

By "wool" I mean wool

Just wanted to check. Knitters from the UK and some from canada and australia refer to all yarn as wool. So sometimes they talk about acrylic wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
jeeniejolie
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015 04:54:43 PM »

Mostly people use itchy wool to make felted bags or slippers. You can see if soaking it in water with hair conditioner added will soften it, sometimes that works.

And if by 'wool' you mean yarn and it's acrylic, then washing and drying in the dryer softens it up a lot.

I have the same problem but my yarn IS acrylic... I bought over $200 on a trip to walmart and didn't realized how itchy it was until I finished my first hat and my son couldn't wear it because it was just too itchy. When you mention washing and drying  in the dryer, is there a particular setting I should set it to, and is this done to the yarn prior to knitting it?

Thanks! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015 09:02:28 AM »

Usually one washes and dries it after it's knit up, it's a pain to do it beforehand. The itchiness may be a reaction to the 'sizing' that is sometimes put on yarn, just like clothes and needs to be washed out. I've never had an itchy acrylic wouldn't expect to from the yarns sold at Walmart which I've used.  Most people advise a gentle cycle and low dryer heat, but I just put acrylic knits in the regular wash (with something light, like t shirts or other knits) and a regular dryer setting. But I do check the dryer after 20 minutes or so and take it out as soon as it's dry. Too much heat can make it limp. You could make blankets with it, double stranded on huge needles will use it up faster. It can also be used for a cardigan or jacket, something worn over other clothes. Try washing and drying that hat again and see how it feels then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 23, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...