A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone help me with my overlocker (serger) problem??  (Read 1809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2010 08:24:31 PM »

I have no idea what happened but all of a sudden my overlocker (serger) is behaving weirdly. Here's a few shots of the stitching:

I've rethreaded the whole thing, I've fiddled with the tension, and it's still doing this weird undulating thing. I'm freaking out because I'm supposed to be making something for a friend for a Christmas swap and I won't be able to unless my machine is behaving itself. I also can't take it to a repair shop without at least a two-week wait for a service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purefairydust
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010 06:06:27 PM »

Looks like you will have to make sure the thread is seated between tension disc. Meaning that you need to raise the presser foot, tug each thread to make sure the thread goes between the disc, and then lower the presser foot. Tug again on all thread to make sure there is tension on the threads. Try sewing again, if this doesn't not help put a new needle in. Sometimes we forget when we retread our machines, we forget to check the tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
shebear
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010 10:30:09 AM »

It could also be that one of the threads is not feeding off the spool smoothly or you could have a bad thread. I've run into the bad thread thing more than once. I try very hard to use the same thread brand on all the needles and loopers because sometimes they just don't like to be mixed.

If feeding off the spool is the problem, try putting your nets over the spools and trying again.

Another thing......if you have trouble with getting the thread to get in between the tension discs, back the adjustment zero and thread it and then adjust it. Backing the discs to zero might be a good idea for storage too. It would keep the discs from wearing, especially if you keep it threaded. You can always put tension cheat notes on the inside cover so you can adjust them without looking for the manual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011 08:38:04 PM »

did you get this figured out? i have had problems with several machines where the spring that pushed on the tension plate gets stuck, so there is no tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Backpack For Your Dog
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...