A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
233 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question about a dress.. now with pictures.  (Read 28393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
GoddessAnqet

She's A Pulverizing Crucible Of Fulfillment!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005 02:44:14 PM »

That is a very sweet dress.  It brings back nostalgia for my uber goth days  Grin 

I think if I were to make it I would definitely pick something like a taffeta for the skirt.. if you use a fabric with too much drape (a lightweight satin or a charmeuse for instance) you wouldn't have the same shape in the folds of the skirt (although that could look nice as well).  The folds seem to look pretty crisp in the images (I haven't seen the video).  You could definitely do it out of cotton but you'd have to be careful about what type of cotton you picked.. polished cotton would be nice- you'd get a little sheen but it's heavier weight than satin.. Organza might be cool too.. you'd get a more ethereal effect.. It would look incredible in an iridescent silk dupioni.  Combinations of taffeta, organza, and tulle in coordinating colors (shades of bluegreen I think) could look fairy like.. with a more tattered hem and tattered trim of all three fabrics at the neckline...

From what I see of the top I think you'd definitely need to line it.. maybe even add some boning.. though I'd have to see how the dancer moves in it.. you could get away with making it look corset-esque but be much more flexible.. it also depends on your body.. there's no way I could get away with something strapless like that without serious heavy boning Tongue

Meli
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a **** from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
Hunter S. Thompson
bunnyusagi
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005 12:08:10 AM »

it looks like it is a corset top and then a skirt. i love that music video and i thinik that if you can make that dress it will look great on whoever wears it, although i am sure that it is intended for your wear only lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poto_fan

No day But today

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005 01:04:32 PM »

that dress IS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! she's a really good dancer, i love the song, and the band...wow....i would KILL someone for that dress...well, not really, but I like the dress...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today
geniusNOTatWORK
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005 04:16:26 PM »

YAY! A discussion about the MCR dress! I've seen the video several times just for that part! The dress is uber pretty and I'm thinking of making it but sadly I haven't had much time since I was crazy busy over the summer and junior year is killing me >< I'll keep this post in mind when I do start making it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005 11:22:09 PM »

With how well it twirls I would no think there is a pencil skirt in there. And, while it doesn't appear to be a top and bottom it may be easier, or not depends. It seems like the may or may not be a full circle, but it is gathered onone side and I would do that for the layer under, but put the gathered part towards the opposing side. then have the black see through stuff uner that.
*note it is almost 1:30 here, so if I am incoherent don't mind me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005 12:44:43 PM »

I seriously doubt there's a pencil skirt in there.

Mostly because pencil skirts are more or less close fitting skirts, and.. well.. this one's quite poofy.
there might be some spandex leggings under all that.. but I couldn't tell you to be perfectly honest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005 05:10:55 PM »

Okay...I made a sketch ofthe dress, just to get an idea of it's shape, but upon scanning it, the pencil didn't show up well. So, you'll have to look at both drawings to see all of the detail (some of which is still missng. It looks better on paper than on the computer),but it gives a general idea.
It's all one dress...just a basic fitted tube top (with ragged tulle trim), red fabric band on the hips, and a asymmetrical balloon skirt...short in the front, and long in the back. It looks like there is a red lining, and some more of that ragged tulle, placed wherever it looks best.
Anyway, that's just my interpretation of it.

This one shows the skirt detail a little better

While in this drawing, you can actually see the outline on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005 12:18:55 AM »

Check out this girl's awesome version of that dress!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=52113.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
xxb3bigurlxix
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005 08:59:12 PM »

I found this skirt that is incredibly similar to the one Allison (the dancer) is wearing.

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=Skirts&product%5Fid=2025241182#
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Under_the_Rose
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006 01:43:17 PM »

I love this dress....I'm so glad i found this forum...because the first time i saw the video i was like "want dress....NOW" and am currently in the beginning stages of planing it out...so this thread it very helpful I've been looking for reference pictures forever and could never find any
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...