A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
273 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question about a dress.. now with pictures.  (Read 28436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
rachel_
« on: May 24, 2005 09:25:54 AM »

I'm still kinda new to Craftster, so I hope that this is the right board.

I was just wondering if you could help me. I've fallen in love with the dress in the My Chemical Romance video for Helena, I'm seeing it in green or gold or something equally pretty. However, I can't seem to find a pattern like it, so I was wondering if you could help. I'm trying to get a screenshot, but my computer is being damn annoying. If anyone has seen the video and has any suggestions for a pattern, I would really appreciate it until I can find a screenshot.

Thanks.

EDIT: That's the best that I can do I'm afraid. I just kinda need an idea for a pattern, I can modify, that's not a problem, I just can't find anything close to it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 08:07:21 AM by rachel_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
armybratlovestokni

Interkay will rule you all!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 08:45:20 AM »

Is it the dress the dancer is wearing  or someone in the congregation is sporting?
I don't know wich ur talkin about Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be knitting.
rachel_
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 10:39:07 AM »

I apologise. Its the dress that the dancer is wearing. I'm still trying to find a full length picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 05:39:08 PM »

I think that outfit is beautyfull. I will tel you what I see. I think it is done from 2 pieces..

Top- cotset stile (ore real corset) made from 8 ore 6  panels with zippier in the back, and Tull(sp) embellished top age. Mind that the top is longer then average corset so probably It would be the best to buy pattern for strapless and shorten it.
There is also black strip of material (may be undone bow) added on the bottom .

Fore the skirt I would use top part from basic pencil skirt( perpule stripe billow the corset). Bottom of a skirt is i think done from 4 layers. Black perpule and Tull(sp)  layer made from weary long stripes, and the shorter lining layer that is asymmetrical and you pin top 3 layers to  it.
Sorry if it doesn't mack sense English is not my first language I will try to explain every thing if you have any questions. I love figuring out outfits like that so I will be glad to help you.

simplicity has a pattern 5207 that probably shows the best what I was thinking of use a top part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005 12:50:11 AM »

from what I remember it's just a strapless well tailored top, with a red belt/applique around the bottom, and then a couple of long circle skirts (one red, one black) over a shorter tulle underskirt. The circle skirts are cut away at various places and tucked up in places to reveal everything underneath.

hope that makes some sense. I'll go watch the video again if it doesn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
rachel_
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005 10:04:44 AM »

Okay... so the top and skirt are separate? Right. So basically I just need to make three circle skirts, one tulle, and two in chosen colours of a satin type fabric, and then produce the top. Do you think that I would need a pattern to get the accuracy of the fit in the top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 11:05:46 AM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear about it the first time around.. but the top and skirt are definately attached.  You could use a pattern, and probably get better results.. depending on your skills in fitting.. or you could sew a long tube, and then use darts to get it to fit nicely, then just attach the skirt to the bottom.
It looks like the top part ends at about her hips, if that helps any.

I just stumbled on this sewing pattern, and the greenish gold dress on the left is a pretty close to accurate pattern. The top seems like it'd be exactly what you're looking for. It's about the right length, the right shape, and it's even got the same little ruffley trim that the dress in the video had along the top.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

rachel_
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005 11:54:15 AM »

Oh wow, that's actually really close to the pattern. I'm fine with working with the skirts without a pattern, I was just a little worried about having to construct the top. Thank you for your help. Now all I gotta do is find that pattern somewhere  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 12:58:39 PM »

it's simplicity 4580 =) sorry I didn't include that sooner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005 08:40:37 PM »

I've not seen this video, as I gave up on MTV a long while ago, but from the pics it looks like part of that skirt is a "bubble" skirt.  The top, heavy black bit that is asymetrical.  From the pics, it does NOT look like satin, it looks like taffeta.  I think a circle skirt in tulle and one in the other contrast color would be good, but consider making it LIKE a circle skirt only not trimming the fabric into an actual circle.  Leave the points on there, or cut it into an irregular shape with straight edges.  That'll give it that ragged look without a lot of post-sewing snipping and trimming.  The upper layer should probably be taffeta, though, and tafetta is heavy enough you could make the corsetty top bit from it, too, with a layer of tulle over it maybe.  Consider also keeping your eye out for vintage 80's patterns.  I think you could find something very VERY similar.  You might also consider looking through the costume patterns for something can-can or saloon-girl to give you a start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005 11:26:47 PM »

just thought I'd add.. I had some free time and took a few image captures from the video, in case it'll help some..

I really wanna see you make this dress.. it's definately gorgeous.

you can see the top a little better in that one.. I think I got more too.

this one shows the skirt layers a little better.. I just noticed there's some gathering on the bottom edge of the black layer of the skirt, and this shows it a bit.

this isn't particularly excellent, but it does show that there's a slit in the black layer that goes all the way up to the belt.

this one shows the general shape of the skirt.. it's a lot longer in the back than the front

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel_
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005 07:57:32 AM »

Thank you for all of your help. Definately getting started on this dress just as soon as my exams are finished! Have had a few ideas in the way of modifying the original dress, and I'm drawing up a few ideas at the moment. Can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005 03:17:54 PM »

well awesome Smiley keep us updated! I can't wait to see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dark Kitty
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005 03:57:09 PM »

I stumbled upon this post while looking for my own ideas to make this dress, and seeing this, I tihnk I've pretty much got everything I need now Smiley The only thing missing is material....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Something cold and blank behind a smile she's standing on an overpass in a miracle mile...
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005 05:59:56 PM »

I've been considering making this dress for a while.. sorry if I'm so constant with my replies.. I wanna make a pretty accurate replica of it.. just because I love the dress the way it is.. and yeah. I'm a dweeb like that.

The fabric doesn't seem to have a lot of sheen to it. I would honestly guess that the black at least is cotton, or something not exceptionally shiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel_
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005 08:22:27 AM »

I haven't looked into fabric yet, but I'm not convinced that it's cotton, and if it was I don't think that cotton is something I would like to work with, I find it to be very thin. The bodice and the first skirt would have to be lined because of this.

That's just my opinion. I was thinking of using taffeta, but I won't know for sure until I can see what limited supply the shops around here have.

I don't plan on making an exact replica of the dress, I like to change things a little.

Perhaps if so many people are keen on making this dress we should start a sewalong? Still haven't finished my exams though so I'm gonna have to wait a couple more weeks before I can start.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005 11:55:25 AM »

really? I've never ever had problems with it being see-through. Granted I've never used anything that's light colored, I've never had problems with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005 06:41:07 AM »

I saw a pattern at one of the thrift stores yesterday that I almost bought just to offer up to you gals.  It was an 80's battern with a corset-like, dropped waist bodice and a pencil under-skirt, with an over skirt that is all ruffly and assymetrical.  It really looked like the perfect starting point for this dress.  If I recall, it was a size 8, and I think it was McCalls, though it might have been Vogue.  If anyone's interested, I can see about picking it up.  It was very pretty, if only I could fit into something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
femboost
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005 10:28:56 PM »

i just found this post and i am so happy! i wanted to make a dress like this ever since i saw the video, and this post has answered pretty much all of my questions. but has anyone actually started to make the dress? and if so do you think that someone like me with limited sewing ability (i can make handbags and that's about it) would have an insanely hard time making a dress like this? i have a pretty amazing mom who can sew just about anything if i need help... but what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005 11:00:25 PM »

I don't think you'd have a difficult time making it Femboost, it's not an overly complicated pattern, nor is the whole concept of making the skirt. The worst part of it would probably be the time involved.

I honestly think you could get through it with minimal help. I think sewing handbags is more difficult than clothing though.

Don't stress about it not turning out exactly like the video, it'd be pretty hard to get it exactly the same.. butyou can sure as hell come close Smiley

I'm working on getting the fabric together for this.. I think I'll make a black and purple version though.. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoddessAnqet

She's A Pulverizing Crucible Of Fulfillment!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005 02:44:14 PM »

That is a very sweet dress.  It brings back nostalgia for my uber goth days  Grin 

I think if I were to make it I would definitely pick something like a taffeta for the skirt.. if you use a fabric with too much drape (a lightweight satin or a charmeuse for instance) you wouldn't have the same shape in the folds of the skirt (although that could look nice as well).  The folds seem to look pretty crisp in the images (I haven't seen the video).  You could definitely do it out of cotton but you'd have to be careful about what type of cotton you picked.. polished cotton would be nice- you'd get a little sheen but it's heavier weight than satin.. Organza might be cool too.. you'd get a more ethereal effect.. It would look incredible in an iridescent silk dupioni.  Combinations of taffeta, organza, and tulle in coordinating colors (shades of bluegreen I think) could look fairy like.. with a more tattered hem and tattered trim of all three fabrics at the neckline...

From what I see of the top I think you'd definitely need to line it.. maybe even add some boning.. though I'd have to see how the dancer moves in it.. you could get away with making it look corset-esque but be much more flexible.. it also depends on your body.. there's no way I could get away with something strapless like that without serious heavy boning Tongue

Meli
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a **** from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
Hunter S. Thompson
bunnyusagi
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005 12:08:10 AM »

it looks like it is a corset top and then a skirt. i love that music video and i thinik that if you can make that dress it will look great on whoever wears it, although i am sure that it is intended for your wear only lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poto_fan

No day But today

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005 01:04:32 PM »

that dress IS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! she's a really good dancer, i love the song, and the band...wow....i would KILL someone for that dress...well, not really, but I like the dress...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today
geniusNOTatWORK
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005 04:16:26 PM »

YAY! A discussion about the MCR dress! I've seen the video several times just for that part! The dress is uber pretty and I'm thinking of making it but sadly I haven't had much time since I was crazy busy over the summer and junior year is killing me >< I'll keep this post in mind when I do start making it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005 11:22:09 PM »

With how well it twirls I would no think there is a pencil skirt in there. And, while it doesn't appear to be a top and bottom it may be easier, or not depends. It seems like the may or may not be a full circle, but it is gathered onone side and I would do that for the layer under, but put the gathered part towards the opposing side. then have the black see through stuff uner that.
*note it is almost 1:30 here, so if I am incoherent don't mind me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005 12:44:43 PM »

I seriously doubt there's a pencil skirt in there.

Mostly because pencil skirts are more or less close fitting skirts, and.. well.. this one's quite poofy.
there might be some spandex leggings under all that.. but I couldn't tell you to be perfectly honest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005 05:10:55 PM »

Okay...I made a sketch ofthe dress, just to get an idea of it's shape, but upon scanning it, the pencil didn't show up well. So, you'll have to look at both drawings to see all of the detail (some of which is still missng. It looks better on paper than on the computer),but it gives a general idea.
It's all one dress...just a basic fitted tube top (with ragged tulle trim), red fabric band on the hips, and a asymmetrical balloon skirt...short in the front, and long in the back. It looks like there is a red lining, and some more of that ragged tulle, placed wherever it looks best.
Anyway, that's just my interpretation of it.

This one shows the skirt detail a little better

While in this drawing, you can actually see the outline on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005 12:18:55 AM »

Check out this girl's awesome version of that dress!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=52113.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
xxb3bigurlxix
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005 08:59:12 PM »

I found this skirt that is incredibly similar to the one Allison (the dancer) is wearing.

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=Skirts&product%5Fid=2025241182#
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Under_the_Rose
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006 01:43:17 PM »

I love this dress....I'm so glad i found this forum...because the first time i saw the video i was like "want dress....NOW" and am currently in the beginning stages of planing it out...so this thread it very helpful I've been looking for reference pictures forever and could never find any
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006 08:47:13 AM »

Thanks for the reference pictures. Has anyone else made this yet? I might have a go when I have some more time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Under_the_Rose
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006 05:52:44 PM »

i dont really remember this possibility for  a pattern being posted....but i found mccalls pattern 3959 either view A or B would work...i would need to be shortened but its a good base to start on if your not really that fantastic at drafting your own patterns yet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
_Suicidal_Angel_
people love me do you?

I am eternally a slytherin....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006 04:02:12 PM »

OMG!!! i love this i made it once and sld it for 120$ it was like within the first 2 weeks of the video relsease
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006 12:01:10 AM »

My computer is in the shop and I've tried to post this 3 times on my hubby's and I'm not having  a lot of luck. 

Tafeta would work well in this dress but most tafeta is acetate and will discolor with age and with perspiration.  That is something to consider. 

Most skirts that billow like this at the bottom are lined with what would loosely be called an a-line lining.  It is usually about 3 inches shorter than the actual skirt.  The top skirt is full and is interlined with netting to give it more body to stand out.  Then it is gathered onto the lining at the bottom of the dress (in this case both the lining and the outer skirt would be cut at an angle....the lining shape just mimics the basic shape of the full skirt.  The seam is hidden between the two linings when the skirts are connected then the whole thing is sewn to the waistline of the garment. You would want to use real netting as the interlining to the top garment because it is stiff and scratchy and won't collapse. It is possible that the lining is colored.  I don't know.  I haven't seen the video.  If it were, it would be visible in this case because of the slope of the skirt.

I would recommend that you use tuille for the top netting around the bust area.  I would catch it between the top lining and the bodice rather than just sew it on.  It will be more comfortable.  Tuille is softer and finer and shouldn't irritate like netting would.  It is also prettier.  I don't think that illusion, which stretches would look as nice. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006 10:58:16 AM »

I've been folowing this thread for a few weeks now, and I'm getting really excited!  I would love to have a prom dress of this style (I'm thinking a dark green for the body with black to replace the red). The problem is that I don't know what fabric to use, and I can't afford taffeta. Embarrassed Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006 12:38:07 PM »

personally, I don't think you'll get quite the same effect without the taffeta-- Joanns carries it in all sorts of colors, and they usually send out fairly decent coupons if you get on their mailing list.

it's not that expensive though, honestly-- you don't have to get silk taffeta or anything like that. There's nylon that looks just as nice. If not, better.

That being said, you could probably do a decent approximation with satin and lots of tulle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sychosydney
Humans Are Funny.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009 01:55:43 PM »

I just found this thread, and as I am going to recreate the helena dress fro my eighth grade formal, I thought I'd post some snapshots/drawings of the dress. None of the drawings are my own, but rather they are all pics I have collected from various internet searches, and pictures my friends sent me. Smiley Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

roseyKilljoy
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014 06:51:54 AM »

I know this post is ancient, but if anyone put together any patterns, I would really like to see them. I want to use this dress as a project for my Fashion Arts class this spring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trendzmania
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015 10:48:32 AM »

its look like this dress is for vampires
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...